Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter

Beginners/Idiot's Guide To Gauges

firstly (and off topic straight away) we need a non-make/model/engine-specific car-related section!! Mods feel free to move this if I've put it in the wrong place but I can't think of anywhere better to put it

anyway, to the point.

More and more people are fitting gauges to their cars these days, and fair enough IMO. But for the benefit of those like me who've never had the urge or the need, can we have a guide of some sort covering the following..?

What gauges are there on the market ?(eg types boost/water temp/volts etc)

What does each gauge tell you/indicate about your car/engine? (eg if oil temp is high/low then...)

Why do you need it/Benefits of having it?

What/Who is it suitable for? (eg boost gauges only for petrol turbo models etc)

i think this could prove really useful for people to understand exactly why they'd want/need certain gauges, rather than the how I feel it is at the moment whee people just fit them because others do (particularly boost gauge on turbo engines) without knowing the "how what & why" etc.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i think that is a good idea, as i have no idea what does what and also what can be put on my car and how it goes on car

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive got a volt meter to check how my power supply is copping and a rough indication of clipping when my amps are running full tilt

oil temp i use this one so i know when i can put my foot down a try not to go above 2.5-3k when oil is cold and when the oil is warm i dont mind putting my foot down
    it can also give you a rouge guess of low engine oil from the rate the oil heats up low oil heats up quite if its full it takes longer

oil pressure so you know if the engine is ok ive head the vauxhall oil switch called the its too late light if this has come on all the damage is done but with the meter showing you a reasonably acurate level
    also you get used to where it sits and what sort of pressur you get doing certain things so if somthing changes its either there is a fault with the engine but because you saw it early damage can be avoided or the gauge is ****ed

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Also a section on each gauge on how to install it!
    Arden Blue GSi

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Creditz View Post
    Also a section on each gauge on how to install it!
    i thought about that, but wouldn't it be likely that different manufacturers would have slightly different fitting instructions? and aren't there two types of gauges, electriacl and mechanical? i assume they'd be different to fit as well. would be good though.

so can/is anyone able to help?

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i am another one who hasnt got a clue about guages, i would like a volt guage tho, for when my amps sucking every last volt out of my battery
    Observe the masses and do the opposite

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    anyone able to knock up some sort of guide then? even if its just for a particular type of gauge? then when we've got a full "set they can be brought together into one guide

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Moved thread to relervant forum - its astra discussion and chat and is for all enignes all models so belongs in here

Most of it is common sense.

not up to us to create the guides - unless of course you want to pay me to do it and to buy it!!

Also there is no need for non mark sperfic engine forum IMO
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    nobody's saying its up to anyone to do anything, it would just be helpful if someone who has a boost gauge/volt gauge/oil pressure gauge etc could do a little "how-to" or a little run down about what it does & why its useful. I'm sure it is mainly common sense but people have been helpful enough to produce guides for things that are also common sense IMO and I just thought it may benefit people a little

I'll spend some time and find all the info out and produce a little guide if need be, I just thought it may be good if someone whos going to fit a gauge in their car soon anyway could produce a little runthrough about why its useful etc.

the non-marque specific suggestion was only a joke as well Mat coz I wasn't sure where to put the thread at the time

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Doing an all encompassing would be pretty much pointless as hooking any gauge up to an engine will vary form engine to engine - even for an oil pressure gauge I can think of 4 ways of doing in on a Z22, which will be different to a Zlet and different again to a 1.8

As for what specific types of gauges do - google will give plenty of general info.

Also I could list about 20+ manufacturers of gauges, and they all do different ranges of gauge, and style

It's not as easy as it sounds

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast