Thread: Roof requiring re-paint!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Roof requiring re-paint!

My Coupes roof requires painting, I need to know of any painters/bodyshops in the local Bristol area that can help, it needs to be taken back to bare metal & completely repainted in flame red.

I had a quote from Vauxhall £650 as they would not cover it under they're '6 year anti perferation warranty' because i havent had the car serviced by them.... what a joke!

Sumhow moisture has risen through the paint and & has appeared under the laquer leaving the roof completely covered in water bubbles, streaks & blemishes, ive taken the car to a bodyshop & there is no way of getting the moisture out, heat gun etc wont work, only full paint required as Drive Vauxall are addement they cant help.... so much for warranty lol!

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks nasty

moved to the SW region so you get the benefit of local knowledge

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    from looking at the pics you shouldnt need to take it back to bare metal as it should be a case of rubbing down and prepping the roof so that the laquer and some of the top coat of paint is taken off.
    Going back to bare metal is a major job and on a roof would be a nightmare.

I work in a bodyshop in Chippenham . . . Jaysxi85 knows me really well and he has had some paint work done at my place on his bumpers etc.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginno View Post
    from looking at the pics you shouldnt need to take it back to bare metal as it should be a case of rubbing down and prepping the roof so that the laquer and some of the top coat of paint is taken off.
    Going back to bare metal is a major job and on a roof would be a nightmare.

I work in a bodyshop in Chippenham . . . Jaysxi85 knows me really well and he has had some paint work done at my place on his bumpers etc.
    The pictures arent the best, the roof is worse than the pics shown as it doesnt show hundreds of water pockets under the laquer.

It does have to be taken back to bare metal, I have been told by Vauxhall main dealer & my import centre.

How much would you roughly charge for this job? Babs

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    The pictures arent the best, the roof is worse than the pics shown as it doesnt show hundreds of water pockets under the laquer.

It does have to be taken back to bare metal, I have been told by Vauxhall main dealer & my import centre.

How much would you roughly charge for this job? Babs

If it needs to be taken back to bare metal your talking of the windscreen and rear screen needing to be cut out which is going to add to costs as your not going to be able to paint to the edge with the rubber surrounds still in place.

Im not sure what costs would be as i would need to find out the cost of paint and labour time to take it back to bare metal but its not going to be a quick or easy job at all going back to bare metal.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Gutted for you anyway mate as i seen your motor at Eurofest at Combe in 2007 and i was talking to Jay about it and its a lovely looking motor

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginno View Post
    Gutted for you anyway mate as i seen your motor at Eurofest at Combe in 2007 and i was talking to Jay about it and its a lovely looking motor
    Cheers m8, well let me know when you get a price & yea both screens need to be taken out. babs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    looking at your pictures that explains the marks that were on my old flame red SRi, looked exactly the same in a few patches....

have you tried calling vauxhall HQ as surely servicing couldnt effect the pain on the roof? id try arguing and threatening all the usual legal action and watchdog threats etc.

worth a try?
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    remebering back now from work..... we had a Mk4 VW Golf come into work (and it was pile of crap) as the laquer was peeling off the roof and the guy wanted us to sort if for him so we got the car in and started to rub the panel down etc and as we went further into the job and down the panel and into the quarters the same thing was happening, the laquer kept peeling off then we went into the doors and the exact same thing happened ad it kept going and going into the front doors, wings, bonnet etc etc

We got hold of paint company that we use (cant remeber if it was ICI or Sikens) and they came in and said it was a manufacturer problem with the paintwork so then 2 guys from VW came in and did tests etc and agreed and in the end VW paid to have the whole car respayed due to manufacturer paint defect !!!!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mine is blemishing as well it must be somthing in the red paint i guess
    2.2 SRI yeah baby

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast