Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter

Which One To Choose?

righto, as you may have gathered I've been looking at mk3's for the last week or so, to replace the mk4 estate (which I will be breaking soon).

I would prefer a 1.8 16v GSi/Sport, however finding one in the right condition and at the right price is proving difficult, I've missed out on 3 now where they've all sold either the day before or on the day I made contact

so my search has narrowed down to two cars, both of which are 1.6 16v rather than the 1.8s. I'm not overly worried by the slight difference in performance, because going from the 'state it will feel quicker anyway

I've now got a choice between two cars as I said before, but they're both a little way away from me to give the once over so I was wondering what the general consensus was on which to go for. here's a brief over view on each, and I would appreciate anyones thoughts on which to go for as soon as possible if you could

Price on both is more or less the same (pending negotiation )

Car #1 - located approx 3.5hrs away from me

1995 1.6 16v 5dr Sport
    Flame Red
    loads of service history/receipts/old mots etc
    full MOT (done especially for sale if I want it) but no tax.
    cambelt/rollers/water pump done ~52k
    no rust on rear arches
    gsi smoothed grill (ph1 if I'm not mistaken?)
    mk4 side repeaters
    piper cat back exhaust
    short shift kit
    bumpstrips removed

plus its got a long "history" thread on mk3oc showing the cars transformation and subsequent putting back to standard (so I know its been looked after). only bad point really (besides the chavvy aerial) is a little rust on the drivers door and a spot on the sill just below, but thats nothing that can't be sorted with a new door and a little TLC.

Car #2 - located approx 4-4.5hrs away from me

1996 N Reg 1.6 16v 5dr Sport
    Pineapple (?) Yellow
    fSH up to 96k & all MOTs etc. has had a service recently but not stamped as DIY job.
    MOT august '08, 6 mths Tax just put on.
    15" alloys (which would definately be changed )
    lowered an unspecified amount (looks approx 30-40mm to me from pics)

unfortunately...

Cambelt/Rollers/Water Pump needs doing (he has said his dad will do the cambelt while I wait if I want to, but I'd rather get the lot done at once I think)

so what do you think? I did initially prefer the red one because it would save me doing a couple of mods (short shift/exhaust) and I could sell the GSi grill and headlights for ph2 grill & lights, but now thinking some more I'm edging a little towards the yellow one, mainly because the bloke has been more forthcoming with info when I've asked, he's also keen for a quick sale as he's recently moved and this is sat on the road unisured/untaxed as he has nowhere for it (using this info I've knocked down by 33% on the price so far and I'm optimistic I'll get him down some more! ) its just the extra trek to get it as well that discourages me.

what do we all reckon?

I'll add a 24hr poll so please register your votes and help me make my mind up as I have to make a decision by the end of the weekend
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    red one as you can clearly see the whole history of the car from mk3oc
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    East Midlands RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the red one for me pete
    Astra GSi Turbo
    dap-performance.co.uk
    Live in the East Midlands?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yellow because i like the look of the car alot more, nothing to do with service history or anything. My opion is completely visual. Think the yellow could also really stand out with some choice cheap mods.

Good luck with either purchase though pete

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The red one may have a "known" history on the forums but at the end of the day it just looks like any other red mk3.....the yellow one on the other hand is a rare thing and Ive always loved yellow cars (always fancied an 850R Estate in yellow lol)

Sod the extra hours driving or so - Id snap up the yellow one pronto

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Why not steal the yellow one? If its uninsured hes obviously not too bothered about it, surely being illegally 'dumped' at the side of the road it could be crushed anyway by the authorities?
    On a serious note the yellow one will stand out more and the red one needs a new door and will be a pain to colour match a new door possibly.
    The history of the red one is better as it is documented on web, but can there be too much to go wrong with yellow one that wont be obvious on a thorough check over which can be used to bring the price down further.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The red one looks a rot box form the piccy of the door, and it's the wrong colour for a MK3 sport.

Gotta be the pinapple

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    pineapple it could very well be, I've just made an offer but its a little lower than where the negotiations were before, we'll see what he says as he has a set of alloys for it I'm interested in and I want them thrown in if I pay the last price he gave me

keep the thoughts coming!

do you reckon the rust from the door of the red one will have spread then? the arches are sound looking at some other pics, and from what other members on there have said when I've PMd them for opinions its a good car... Yellow one hasn't got much history on the site (although its got a load in the folder) because the bloke only bought it as a runaround to tide him over while his other car was off the road.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Makes on odds if it's spread or not - it's still got a below par door on it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    get the pineaple one

flame red in the mk3's isnt good trust me, i had to polish and polish and polish

dont be blinded by mods, all those are quite cheap anyway on the mk3's

and changing the door on the astra would be easy but colour matching the flame red is very difficult (it fades when not looked after)

go for the yellow and when you do buy my haynes manual (my prized possesion when tinkering with my old mk3)
    Astra Se2 coupe

"Love it and shove it and dance around the bucket"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast