Thread: will this drain power

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

will this drain power

ive bought peteg's amp off him, its a hollywood excursion 3000w amp. is it going to drain power? also how much of a difference does 0 gauge cable make?
    "I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always agree with them."

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MiddletoM View Post
    ive bought peteg's amp off him, its a hollywood excursion 3000w amp. is it going to drain power? also how much of a difference does 0 gauge cable make?
    0 gauge doesn't make that much of a difference people go 0 gauge because they have a big power drain and getting 0 gauge increases the rate at which the amperage flows and reduces the heat in the cable,if the amp is going on a sub then yes their will be a drain in power, but remember this if the cable is too big this can also reduce your amperage flow rate. What is the true RMS power of the amp and the sub that you will be using If it's big RMS i would go down the split charger route with 0 gauge

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    0awg make a huge differance its main job isnt to reduce heat its to reduce volt drop at full load current the higher the voltage the more power your amps can produce and it reduces the chances of clipping due to low voltage also your cable cant be too big the bigger the better and from petes amp it produces 1krms so you should be using 0awg are at i minimum 2awg

its a big amp so it will obviously drain power its just dont even attempt to run it without the engine on as your battery will be flat within minutes

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J SE 2.0CDTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im guessing around 1000-1200w rms myself, i run 600WRMS and that peaks at 1500W on 4 guage...on a 80A fuse.
    Its going to be noticable and may be better with a split charge system, i can have a volt drop of nearly 2volts sometimes with heavy basslines.
    Recently the headunit has started to shut off with bass intensive tracks, due to lack of power without engine running.
    Start the engine and keep volts up and its fine.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    also with that amout of power it get a volt meter installed so you can see what is happening to the power supply

i had 4awg when i had 1krms and voltage went silly low somtimes well into the 11vs and now i have 0awg and 1.5krms and i dont think ive seen it below 12v so it obviously makes a differance

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    cool, as long as the car will keep on going. i never turn my subs on without the engine running. many times i have run the battery down.

the amps specs are:

• Peak power @ 13.8V/ 1 ohm 2000watts x 1
    • RMS power @ 13.8V/ 1 ohm 1000watts x 1
    • RMS power @ 13.8V/ 2 ohm 750watts x 1
    • RMS power @ 13.8V/ 4 ohm 500watts x 1
    • RMS power @ 12.0V/ 4 ohm 350watts x 1

cheers for the help

oh yea, the cable hasnt got a fuse on it. i could only find 30a ones in halfords, the amp has 2 60a ones on it. will 30 be alright?
    "I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always agree with them."

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by autoSRI View Post
    0awg make a huge differance its main job isnt to reduce heat its to reduce volt drop at full load current the higher the voltage the more power your amps can produce and it reduces the chances of clipping due to low voltage also your cable cant be too big the bigger the better and from petes amp it produces 1krms so you should be using 0awg are at i minimum 2awg

its a big amp so it will obviously drain power its just dont even attempt to run it without the engine on as your battery will be flat within minutes
    Running too bigger gauge does reduce the flow rate Think of a cable like a river. A River with lodges in it,the lodges are the amps, if the river is too big the amps will flow slowly but on the other hand if the river is too small then some of the lodges will get jammed resulting in friction ie heat, the wright gauge is essential, if thats a 1kRMS amp and you get a sub that can take that 0 gauge alone isn't going to help you you need a split charge system

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    my subs are jbl 1200w peak with 300w rms. these run at 2 ohm. what cabling will i need going to the amp then?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry pal not correct the larger the cable the lower the resistance the easier the currant can flow through without voltdrop and you need the easiest path for the power to run the amps are the final load and at the the end off the circuit the only restriction is if the cable is large enough to pass the current

personaly the larger the cable you can afford but its up to you and when you are pulling full power from the amp the voltage will be dropping so power output will be less

its up to you but i garantee 0awg will reduce voltdrop which means your amp will be able to play longer at full tilt

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MiddletoM View Post
    my subs are jbl 1200w peak with 300w rms. these run at 2 ohm. what cabling will i need going to the amp then?
    0 gauge with that set up but as i said before you will need a split charge system to get the best from it No cable is 100% efficient for carrying power. as diameter and distance increases efficiency reduces dependant on the power going through it,but their will be loss Split charge when you can afford it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast