Thread: Dillema regarding modifications

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dillema regarding modifications

I have a bit of a problem. My insurance is up for renewal in February when I had insurance set up on my old car & it included any modifications I wanted to do in the price. When I bought my current car (astra coupe) the price went down as the car was less of a risk. However what they failed to tell me was that I am not allowed any mod's and I have some already as I understood I was allowed.

There isn't anything major but I know I need to get these things now covered. Should I call my insurance company (broker) to see if they can just get me a policy from renewal date to include the mods & if I tell them the car is modified can they revoke my insurance for not telling them (even though I thought I didn't have to)

Help!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I took a policy out years ago when on the phone the woman said I could do some engine work to my car. I did the work, rang up to add it to the insurance, and someone different said no, she was wrong, I cant have mods and they then basically told me my policy was void. So i cancelled it, got my deposit back and took it out with a diff company
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    if you've only got until february on this policy then why not just start shopping round for new insurers now who'll cover your mods? what mods have you had done anyway that potentially void your insurance?

your insurance company shouold record any call you make to them and therefore if they never informed you that the mods aren't covered then it'd be natural to assume that they were the same as your last policy.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peteg2004 View Post
    if you've only got until february on this policy then why not just start shopping round for new insurers now who'll cover your mods? what mods have you had done anyway that potentially void your insurance?

your insurance company shouold record any call you make to them and therefore if they never informed you that the mods aren't covered then it'd be natural to assume that they were the same as your last policy.
    All I have done is lowered 35/20mm, changed the exhaust to a stainles. The windows were tinted when I bought the car. The thing is the insurance broker saw pictures of the car from when I bought it. Also at that time it had a massive spoiler on it so in that aspect it has been de-modded.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    who are you insured with? if they've seen that the car had mods then they wouldn't have insured you in the first place.

are you sure your previous policy wasn't "like for like" and this one isn't? you would still be able to mod your car, they would just replace it with standard parts in the event that you make a claim rather than paying for the modded items.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Try adrian flux or chris knott mate.

also, bell.co.uk cover modifications
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring