Thread: What alarm to buy???

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow What alarm to buy???

Hi, im looking to buy an alarm Thatcham cat1.

Im looking for a good alarm with preferbly a pager which alerts you when your car is being tampered with, ive seen these pagers come as an extra with some alarms.

Any suggestions on any alarms? Which brand etc Toad, Clifford, Viper.

Thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have the Viper on my TT works very well indeed, does all that your after plus a little cheaper than clifford

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Personally when i got mine, i decided not to go for the pager as potentially you may never sleep again. False alarms etc. I had a not so common but expensive alarm fitted in conjunction with the standard vaux one on my gsi. Thus doubling up on sensors and having a backup for every conceivable entry point. I had proximity sensors fitted which means the cars chrips if anybody gets close and continues to chirp as it detects movement. Its brilliant as i can hear it from inside and it raises your attention.

I also had bumper sensors fitted after discovering my front bumper missing one morning not long after the car had been broken into, hence the 2nd alarm.

Now you cant remove the bumper without triggering the alarm. Got loadsa stuff, but it costs alot. bout £800 all in.
    Regal Phase 1 + Intercooler
    270BHP 300ftlb And Nothing Else, All standard

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burtdick View Post
    Personally when i got mine, i decided not to go for the pager as potentially you may never sleep again. False alarms etc. I had a not so common but expensive alarm fitted in conjunction with the standard vaux one on my gsi. Thus doubling up on sensors and having a backup for every conceivable entry point. I had proximity sensors fitted which means the cars chrips if anybody gets close and continues to chirp as it detects movement. Its brilliant as i can hear it from inside and it raises your attention.

I also had bumper sensors fitted after discovering my front bumper missing one morning not long after the car had been broken into, hence the 2nd alarm.

Now you cant remove the bumper without triggering the alarm. Got loadsa stuff, but it costs alot. bout £800 all in.
    What alarm is it? where do you get it from?
    SMIC, miltek catback, precat, Thorney remap 242.7 bhp 281lb/ft torque

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    the toad A101 is a very good alarm indeed.. it has proxy alert agmonst a shit load of other gizmo's... just watch the self locking as if you leave the car the with engine running an shut the door.. it will lock itself with the engine running and u stuck outside
    Rolling in a: 57 Astra 1.7 SRi CDTi with X-Pack in Black (135K Miles).
    61 Corsa 1.4 SRi With X-pack in Silver

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The hawk stuff is well made & great value, £50 for a Thatcham cat 1 with central locking interface etc ... http://www.hawkcaralarm.com/insurance%20approved.html

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    agreed on the Toad A101 I have had both that and a clifford. The toad has never let us doen and have been on the golf for 6 years now.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your opinions folks. Can someone tell me what functions the Toad A101 has and how much it costs?. Does anyone have the Toad ai606 model, just wondering if it is any good.

With regards to the £800 Alarm can you tell me the name of it and if you think it is worth the money. And what all do you get with it?

Any opinions on any other alarms, are any alarms fitted to your own car, are you pleased with what you got.

Thanks.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    The Toad A101 isn't thatham approved, the ai606 is a good enough alarm and a full cat 1 with the immobilisation which isn't needed on the MK4's. My personal opnion on pagers is that they are just a gimic, i've fitted a alarm for someone before with a pager and went back to do another motor for him and he says he doesn't use it anymore

A standard cat 1 upgrade alarm can be had from under £250 fitted and does it it needs to do
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I fitted a TOAD ai600 on my last car, C5T2 on my othert halfs astra and have a ai606 on my cossie.
    Ace alams no trouble, the previous comment about autolock is NOT correct, autolock does not fucntion like that, if a door is opened after starting even within the 10 second period they will NOT auto lcok, if the car is started with the door open, they will NOT autolock, upon closing the door.
    The only time they would would be due to the pin switch for the door not making good enough contact to put the interior light on so it would not know door status.
    This feature can be disabled easily anyway, through programmable switch positions after entering your 4 figure code the alrm has from the factory.
    tabetha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast