Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 225/35/18 Tyres - Conti-Sport 3, Michelin PS2, or Goodyear Eagle F1?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

225/35/18 Tyres - Conti-Sport 3, Michelin PS2, or Goodyear Eagle F1?

I recently bought 18" BK Racing BK999 VXR replica alloy wheels for my Astra Coupe SE2 1.8, but I have not managed to get tyres for them yet. I've always bought Goodyears in the past, mostly Eagle F1's for my performance cars, and "run of the mill" Goodyears for my basic cars. I used Eagle F1 GSD2's and found them good, then progressed to GSD3's and found them even better, with amazing levels of grip in the wet or dry. I have fitted 4 sets of Eagle F1 GSD3's to my current car. The only gripe I have ever had with them are the fact that they are really bad in snow.

However, recently I had been noticing that Ferraris, Porsches, and other similar are all fitted with asymmetrical tyres, usually from Continental, Michelin, etc. Obviously I found it strange that these cars would have a lot more power, and place a far higher demand on the tyres than any of my cars, but didn't have "V-tread" tyres. This led me to think that if all these cars had asymmetrical design tyres, from other manufacturers, they may be better performers than my Goodyears.

When I heard that the GSD3's were to be discontinued, and replaced by the Eagle F1 Asymmetric, I thought this was a brilliant idea, and couldn't wait to get my hands on a set for my new wheels. However, although they were listed as an available size on the Goodyear website from the start of October, none of the suppliers knew when they would be available. I patiently waited for them to appear, and after being told by the suppliers they should be available any week, I eventually got in touch with Goodyear themselves at the end of October.

I have now been waiting 10 weeks since first contacting Goodyear, my patience is coming to an end. No-one should be forced to wait two and a half months, yet still not even be able get a date when it will be possible to order the tyres. To add insult to injury, they stopped making the GSD3's in this size long before they started Asymmetric. Goodyear have given me several excuses including the fact that all 35 profile Eagle F1 Asymmetric tyres failed the first quality tests (which in itself doesn't inspire confidence), and production had to be further delayed. I have spoken to Steve Carless several times who is the Logistics Manager for Goodyear UK, but have gotten no-where with him.

They still cannot estimate when these tyres will start production, which has led me to start looking for alternatives. I wanted an Asymmetric tyre rather than another V-tread one as I thought they might be better in the snow. I have heard that the MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 2 are not bad, but I have been drawn towards the CONTINENTAL CONTI SPORTCONTACT 3 as this is OE on the VXR and therefore must be a good tyre! I can get these delivered, fitted, all in for £147 each. Is this a good price, or can anyone do better?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like a good price to me.

IIRC, that was the same size tyre that willbaroo had on his 999's and they rubbed like a beatch
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the very same problem as you last summer. I bought a set of 18" sportsstars and wanted to fit them with eagle F1's. Always liked the GS3D on my old 17" rims, enough to replace them like for like for several years.

However, I found myself in the same boat as you. Goodyear had stoped production in the 225/35/18 size and nobody could say when they would launch the new ones, and boy am I glad I didnt wait if there stil not available.

So I did my research and opted for a set of Bridstone Potenza RE050a's here Standard equipment on a Ferrari Enzo, I figured if they where good enough for the enzo there more than adaquate for a flipin Astra and thankfully I wasnt wrong. They far exceed the F1's in my opinion, they really stick like glue to the road, and not just the dry, there very capable in the wet too. Best of all and this is a strong point for me, the Road noise was reduced! Going from 17" to 18" I expected an increase in noise, but with these it actually reduced. I guess the noise reduction technoligy they claim really works.

So i'm afraid I cant coment on the conti's but I would recomend these. Good side wall protection, excelent grip and some road noise level reduction, Asimetrical so you can swap left and right, front and back for even wear if you like too.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have the Conti's on my VRS, very very good tyres in the dry and the wet. Only thing i would say is when they get to the 3mm level they don't hold up so well!

They we're on the car when i bought it and after a few thousand miles they got to the 3mm level and we're all over the shop. In the dry they we're fine but when the turbo came in while the road was wet they we're all over the place.

This has been raised on the Skoda forum I'm on, people seem to think it's because the tyres are German and that's there limit before it needs to be changed. Not sure how much truth is in that but thought i'd let you know.
    No more Astra..........Now another German!
    http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...20June%202005/

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've Conti Sport2 on the back of the Mk5, don't rate them at all. OK, they're well worn, but still. I've had worn tyres before and they were better than those junk. Mine have about 4mm "thread" left, which is just 5 round bands of rubber, not a bit of cross tread there.

Personally if I were you, I'd be going for the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A. Good enough for Ferrari, good enough for an Astra as Lightning Coupe says. I had the older RE050 on my last two cars, and am very happy with the grip and the wear. Been using Firestone/Bridgestone for over 10 years, only to try different brands on the odd occasion, or buying cars with other tyres on it. I always end up back with Bridgestone/Firestone.

Goodyear's quality control worries me - between the splitting tread on NCT5, the dodgy sidewalls on Dunlops (also a Goodyear brand), and what you said about the F1-Asymetric I don't think I'd bother with them again.

OE fitting means only two things - the tyres are cheap, and readily available. This is why German/Belgium built Astras have Contis and Dunlops, British built ones have Michelins, Poland built have Bridgestone, etc, etc.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sidewalls on F1's bulge out as well, had it on two out of four tyres, never kerbed and so have friends.
    I like Bridgestone, have used PP1/2/3 and though they were ace, but as said when they get worn they go slippy all of a sudden.
    It is nothing to do with the compound as it is the same throughout the depth of the tyre, just pressred into the four piece mould as a lump of rubber.
    Goodyear SUPERCUP are ace, very dodgy in the wet but run rings round every tyre in the dry.
    Tyre choice on normal type cars like vxr is more to do with who will give the biggest discount, makers try several tyres after asking tyre makers to supply tyres for evaluation then shortlist them, then do the bartering with each supplier/manufacturer.
    Small volume manufacturers tend not to as price is not an issue for thier customers.
    tabetha

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well folks, just to give you an update, I have opted for a set of CONTINENTAL CONTI SPORTCONTACT 3. I'm getting them fitted next weekend for £139 ea from Turriff Tyres.

Let's hope they're good, i'll give you an update when i've bedded them in.

Am I the only sad git that gets excited about getting new tyres? I keep going back and looking at the tread pattern of the Conti's enviously! I wish I could get them on sooner, but I want to spend this sat taking off my old wheels and cleaning and painting my calipers silver...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    "Hi, I'm Andrew, and I'm a tyreaholic."

No, you're not the only one.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Michelin PS2 is what i like now works fine for me on zaffy gsi

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My Astra Convertible fronts need replacement after 24,000 miles. It came with Dunlop SP9000s.

I had booked in with a local place "topgear.co.uk" in St. Albans to have the new Goodyear Eagle F1 asyms on it. They have stock of the 225/35/18s so clearly they are in production now.

But after reading this thread about tyre wall bulging and quality issues, I am having second thoughts.

What is funny is that the local Vauxhall dealership said they don't stock that tyre size and don't want to fit them either because their equipment doesn't like 35 profile tyres! Funny, as the car came with that size from new!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast