Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Hgv work help!!

Hi guys

I've just recently passed my class 2 and my class 1, but i'm finding it hard to find any work!!!

I was just wondering weather any one on here who is a hgv driver had any similar experiences when they first started out?

I'm trying to go through agencies at the moment but there all saying that i'm unable to just do weekend work and be in full time empoyment elsewhere because they have to be my sole employer. ( my full time job is a groundworker so there's no issue with driving hours)
    Also they all say that because i have no experinece with tacho's and also driving experince it would be very hard to find me work!

It seems to me i'm going round in circles becuase i can't gain any experince with tacho's and driving experince if i can't get any work, but i can't get any work unless i've got experince

Sorry for chewing your ears off but it's really frustrating as this has cost me 2k to get both license's. and i thought it would be a little easier to find work lol.

alex
    Lowerd,tints, irmscher grill, irmscher back box and remus cs, courtney panel filter, veccy c mod, deristricted airbox

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    am in the same boat mate, am a class 2 holder now, but trying to find somewhere is solid.

my mate who is to because a manger for a company in march says if any come up when he becomes manager he will let me know, but for now am going round in circles to.

all the best tho

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Which agencies have u tried?

I used to do quite a bit of Class 1 & 2 work with Driver Hire a few years back and they still send me all the bumf tryin to get me to go back.....

sadly tho I got banned a few years back - would like to return to driving professionally but I cant see anyone would take me on with said convictions as opposed to someone with a clean licence.....

That aside all I would say is keep at it..... Agencies are ideal to gain experience and get ur first step on the ladder - just dont expect to get a nice cushy RDC job - more likely trampin every nite - or tough roping and sheeting and stuff.

Not sure how many others there are on here - only 1 springs to mind is Ken (Oddjob) who I believe works for Wincanton (ie RDC work) ideal if u can get it!!!! He might be able to offer u some tips.

HTH

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Them saying no experience with a tacho is bullshit. A tacho is so easy to fill in and use a 2 year old could do it.
    As for finding work i am suprised at that. Just keep trying. If you need any help or advice on the tacho give me a pm.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    Then again............

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    TBH most new wagons use the digital tacho card now not the the tacho graph, so you dont have to fill anything in with that, unless the car reader is broke then you have to keep a manual record of your hours.

do you have the digital tacho card?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jollygiant View Post
    Them saying no experience with a tacho is bullshit. A tacho is so easy to fill in and use a 2 year old could do it.
    As for finding work i am suprised at that. Just keep trying. If you need any help or advice on the tacho give me a pm.

Lol yea thats what i thought. they probably don't won't to take on a young new driver.

i've tried most of the big companies in my area green personal, manpower, pro-temp, there just a few i've tried.

i really just wonna d a bit of weekend work to gain some experience but it looks like i won't be able to do it.

i did phone up a local company just aftr starting this thread and i gotta go there after work tomo for a chat, so they seem intrested but i'm not getting my hopes up.
    Lowerd,tints, irmscher grill, irmscher back box and remus cs, courtney panel filter, veccy c mod, deristricted airbox

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    He must have a digi-card now, it's the law. Without a digi-card in his possession at all times he cannot begin work that day. Even if the digi-card has never been used he must still carry it in case he is asked for it.

If you haven't got a Digi-Card then get one NOW.

You must be fully conversant with all regs regarding tachos, most agencies will run a test to see if you understand the regs, if you fail you can't be employed. Digi cards have simplified filling in a tacho but there are 3 types of different digi tachs and 2 are damned hard to understand, the Siemens is the best and simpliest. Scanias seem to use the Stoneridge tacho which is a nightmare to input at the beginning and end of your shift.

Due to the working time directive you cannot have 2 jobs if one includes driving a HGV, this is because of working hours and rest periods. It doesn't matter if the other job doesn't involve driving, if your working then your not resting, that's the law and why the agencies don't want to employ you.

The only way to make this work is to burn your bridges and go full time at driving, find a mate or someone sympathetic who will spend time explaining tachos etc. DON'T be afraid to say to another driver that you are new, if he's anyway decent he will understand and help you out, ask for help and they will help, pretend you know everything and they'll just leave you to it until you drop a bollock and then they'll laugh.

Stay away from roping and sheeting, carrying steel, wood, hay, animals to name a few. If possible get fridge work, the trailers will be box type not curtain siders, the fridges are easy to understand and most of the time it's a back on the bay and sit in the cab job, the less other work you need to do whilst your learning the better, practice reversing a Class 1 whenever you get the chance, it's an art you can only master by repetition, the more you do it the better you'll get.

Don't bullshit, I can spot a new driver at a glance, it's the way they position the vehicle etc, drivers will respect you more if you are honest with them, most drivers are getting on these days, average age is about 45 so you may not have a lot in common with them but they are family men as a rule and they will be willing to pass on their knowledge if you approach them right.

Last bit, find a decent company, well respected in the trade. Not Stobarts etc who are despised as a rule. The better the company the better the wage is a good guide, 30k is not beyond you even starting out but you will be asked to do unsocialable hours I'm afraid. If you can't hack that then don't bother with HGV driving.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.