Thread: Cam belt + Tensioners Change...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Cam belt + Tensioners Change...

Hi guys, i have decided to time is right for me to get a little bigger with what i do myself (instead of a garage) so im going to change the cambelt/tensioners myself aswell as the water pump, i have done a search but it doesnt seem to find my answers . Basically how difficult is it to do? how long on average would it take me, i have a reasonable knowledge of cars very much so mine and how do i go about it as there is no HOW TO guide. i just dont want to start it and get it wrong or need a garage as i live 15 miles from the nearest and its a Ford Main dealer so probably wont be cheap if i needed them...

Any help is appreciated guys.

Jon
    Astra G SXI, Tints, Remus centre, twin backbox, Autoclosure, Rainbow dash LED's, debadged. POWER!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmm yeah im in the same situation as you i really short on money aswell any DIY guide for the engines x18xe1 / z18xe that would be great pls help us

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've done this and whilst it wasn't hard it wasn't that easy either. In fact one part bugged me so much I bought a DeWalt rattle gun as I vowed never to have to do that again.

The hard part for me was getting the crank bolt off, I had my daughter in the car pressing on the brakes (Brembo 4 pots BTW and the crank still moved even with that pressure) I then had to try and crack the bolt loose, I was pulling so hard I was spinning the crank even with the brakes fully on. It came eventually, tip-- tap the socket with a hammer whilst pulling hard but I decided that a rattle gun would be a good investment for future work so I went and bought one after.

The only other slightly difficult part is the cambelt temsioner, in all my years as a mechanic I've never seen such an odd mechanism, took me a while to figure out how it was working but everything went ok and the belts been on a while now so no problems.

Took me about 3 hours to do IIRC, I could probably do it much faster now though as I understand how it works now.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fancy doing another one Ken ?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It's one of those jobs that if not done properly, could result in alot of damage and serious money !! If people aren't sure they could do the job correctly or just trying to save money my advise is to pay the money and get it done properly, once it's been changed you know your ok for 4 years or 40,000 miles.
    HIGHDOWN Car Audio & Security
    Clifford, Genesis, Rockford, CDT Audio