Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to locate and clean EGR valve in 2001 Astra 1.7 DTi

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    You can use carb cleaner any the EGR valve to clean it out.

Beware as the stuff that comes out is very messy, and can mark most things it comes into contact with

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Is halfords the best place to get some carb cleaner?

Thanks...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Undo the screws holding it in and pull off the little vaccum hose that is located on the top of it.
    The hole valve unit should then pull out of its housing. Mine was very gunked up and was a little difficult to pull out.
    I tried cleaning mine with a little WD40. It got all of the soft gunk off and the hard sooty deposits chipped off with an old screw driver.
    Once its clean relpace it, reconncect the hose and hopfully it will be fixed.

I think the excess smoke may be caused by the sticking EGR because it is an Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve. It basicly takes small amounts of unburnt exhaust gasses and recirculates it back into the engine, this reduces the emissions from the engine. When it sticks it upsets the engine balance and may cause the smoke.
    Also when it sticks it upsets the turbo boost, thats why the EM light comes on and causes engine power loss. Its all supposed to be linked in a harmonious way!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Jannermark

That's a very helpful reply indeed... I will try that soon and update..

The symptoms you have linked to EGR are very exact.

One thing though, is there any electrical connection to EGR and should (how) that be removed prior to I start taking it off?

Also I think the valve is held by the shiny/ chrome EGR pipe that goes around from exhaust to inlet manifold through EGR. How do you withdraw the valve from this pipe?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    You need to remove the ECU unit to get to the EGR. There are two screws holding it in. I think you can move it with out unpluging the two wires connected to it. That the only electrical component you need to move unless there are any other wire/plugs that get in thr way. Disconnect them if you need to but remember where they go.
    The pipe from the exhaust is held in place by a nut, use an open ended spanner undo the nut and the pipe can be removed. Undo the two retaining screws and the whole EGR unit should come away from the manifold.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    My symptoms too are identical to those you are experiencing.

Once the EGR valve is off the car, how do you clean the inside of it - it all looks to be a sealed unit? Which bits in particular need to be cleaned?
    Thanks.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    I bought some carb cleaner from local motor spares shop for £3.50, I have also read that its important to renew the EGR gasket - got this from Vauxhall for £5 - think they ripped me off there for what it is!

Will tackle the job at weekend hopefully!!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksareen View Post
    Hi all

A new member here with the following issue on my Y reg 2001 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 DTI LS 16V ECO4 with 145 K miles:

Smoke during acceleration, especially uphill: Replaced glowplugs recently, regularly serviced with new air filter, oil/ fuel filters etc.

Also at high rpms (aroung 3000) while cruising on motorway (speed of 85 MPH+), the MIL light comes on sometimes (which I think could be related to smoke at high rpm) as I can see smoke through the mirror from the lights of cars behind me. I've a feeling that the turbo has stopped and car is driving like a naturally aspirated diesel at those times...

The acceleration used to be superb in my car buts its slowed a little bit recently but MPG is still very good...

I was thinking to check/ clean EGR valve and then MAF/ MAP sensors.
    Any guide on where to find these on Astra and then clean them? None of these have ever been cleaned/ changed on my car.

Thanks for your help in advance..
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...=245113&page=2

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Glad I found this thread. It seems like it might be whats causing my problems. The car runs fine but occasionally when cruising at a steady 75 ish on the motorway, it looses power and I notice some black smoke in the rear view mirror. Ill pick up some carb cleaner tomorrow and have a go. Fingers crossed!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orcecaveman View Post
    Glad I found this thread. It seems like it might be whats causing my problems. The car runs fine but occasionally when cruising at a steady 75 ish on the motorway, it looses power and I notice some black smoke in the rear view mirror. Ill pick up some carb cleaner tomorrow and have a go. Fingers crossed!
    Man that's an old thread. Yeah I did suggest cleaning your EGR valve in your other thread. No doubt it will be dirty.

I guess you don't have any fault stored or your EML would be lit up. Still, you could do the pedal test to see if anything ahs been recorded. And you could disconnect the battery for a while as it will delete the old stored codes on your Y17DT.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast