Thread: temperamental HID

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

temperamental HID

I have recently purchased HID's h7 cost around £80. I decided not to go for the really cheap ones and purchased them from a uk seller.

Anyway after some bulb messing abouts.

It appears my passenger side light will only come on when it wants to.

First off the control unit was tie wrapped just behind the headlight, all was ok. When i moved it down to below the headlight, it started playing up. The cable was not really tight but couldnt really tug on it once the unit was bolted on. To the bolt holding the washer bottle at bottom.

Took bumper off just now, and removed the unit and put it back in engine bay, after a little fiddling with cables i managed to get the HID to come on.

Because the unit is a starter i'm guessing fiddling while the light is already on wont make any difference????

Should the "control units" be buzzing while on.

The cable from the unit to the oem plug, where it goes into the unit seems a little loose. Is it ok to take the unit apart and check the cables properly. Or will this cause unnecessary damage.

Many Thanks

nick

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Bare in mind HID's run at stupidly high voltage so be careful while it's switched on. Saying that though you shouldn't do any damage to yourself or the car. I definatly wouln't take it apart as you will ruin any warrenty you have on it.

I'm sure my starter's buzzed a little when on
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i wouldn't dare dismantle it while its turned on.

warranty, i dont think i have a warranty the amount of hassle it took me for them to send me two bulbs of the same rating. altho now i have a spare which must be one higher than the 8000k.

I have moved the starter to the engine bay and fastened it securely. If it goes off again i'll get a screw driver to it saturday.

Cheers Autosparks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have exactly the same problem with mine, the passengerside one came on when it wanted to but now doesnt come on at all, autosparky couldnt find the prob and said it was the bulb and another wouldnt touch it as it was aftermarket (has been bad mouthed all over town and will now hopefuly go out of business!!) and i am stumped and dont know what to do now.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well i have moved mine for now, see what happens over next few days. I do have a spare bulb which is not 8000k. If the existing one still fails i will try replacing it with spare one and let you know.

Can you not buy single HID bulbs on ebay?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Swap the bulbs over and see if the problem persists on the same side (if it does it's the ballast/starter to blame).

Often it's the battery at fault as the HIDs need a stable supply to fire together. You can wire them via relays so they run off the battery, but if you have the "check" computer then it will display a head lamp failure.

Hope the above helps.

Certainly do not unplug the ballast to bulb wirs when they are turned on, nor yet should you dismantle a ballast as it could contain components that stre high volts and it's unlikly you can fix it any way, contact your seller.
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi k3fus, thx for your suggestion.

i drove to work this morning, and got to say even tho i moved the starter back to engine bay, and it seemed to work last night. It did not work this morning.

I'm gonna swap it with my spare bulb later today.

One issue

i have 3 bulbs

bulb 1 works fine. (supposedly 8000k)
    bulb 2 (supposedly 8000k) (the one i'm having problems with)
    bulb 3 (spare bulb) it appears to be have a more blue look possibly higher than a 8000k.

If it is the bulb am i gonna have to purchase two new bulbs as a set.

I dont really want to have to wire them to battery.

Many thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Out of curiousity have you tried to refire the HIDs immediately after one fails to start? just switch the lights off and on again. Mine do this sometimes, it appears that the OE wiring gives more to one side than the other, mine always seem to be the passenger side as well.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have tried different bulbs and still no luck and tried turning them on then off again to try to get it to work but no cigar.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like a duff ballast, have you tried changing them over, passenger side to drivers etc. That way if the problem follows the ballast you'll know it's the ballast and can try and get another.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast