Thread: Help with key fob/ reprogramming

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Help with key fob/ reprogramming

I have an issue with my key fob. The remote central locking does not work. I have recently changed the battery and still the same. I have also put a piece of paper in between the battery and the cover from advise given. The led on the fob is operational however there is no response. I have also tried tp synchronise the fob to no avail.

I called my local repair centre and they said it could be faulty. They also asked me if the circuit board that the battery sits on has come off where it is held and I told them that that it hasn't come off completely but is loose. THey then said that this is the likely cause of the fault. Anyone have any experiences of this or is sceptical of their response?

If this was the case I would need a new fob. I would prefer to buy a used one off ebay as its cheaper. Is there anything I have to be aware of before doing so? Plus there are also guides about reprogramming it yourself of £1.50. Are these any good? If it can be done at home 'within minutes' according to the seller, why bother going to the dealer and pay £50 for reprogramming?

Anyone got any advise on what I should do as it is really inconvenient without remote locking? Low cost options please as I am skint.

Thanks.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi if you can see where the circuit board is loose
    re-solder it ,
    or get someone to re-solder it for you any electronics
    shop should do it for a few quid ,
    then re-syncronise the fob

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    trying doing what phil w has said

if that dont work, please do not buy a 2nd hand one from ebay as it cant be programmed for your car,

also the guides to reprogramme the key from ebay for £1.50 is no good, it does not tell you how to reprogamme the key, it only says how to resync the key.

if you have to buy a new fob it has to be reprogrammed by Vauxhall and you must have your pass card as well

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i bought a key fob off ebay and took it to the local vauxhall garage for reprogramming. It took 2 mins and cost £25.

This is not cheap - but it is the cheapest way to get a replacement fob.
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just for info - the key is not reprogrammed - the car is told to accept the new key signal - thats why it only took 2 mins. The guy plugs a computer (looks like a handheld) into the diagnostics socket and presses a button on the handheld. The button tells the car to accept the new keys signal - so he also presses the button on the key - thats it. No fancy reprogramming as such.
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    so if you buy a new key from ebay you still have to go to vauxhall to get the key programmed for remote central locking????

Its not just a case of buying the key and then sync it to work on your car by pressing the putton with ignition on??????????

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    to be honest im having the same problme with mine now however i re programmed mine and it worked for a few days then stopped again im going to try changing the battery but im guessing this must be a common problme on astras??

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    unfortunately not - your cars ecu must be told to accept the new key signal.

From a security point of view this makes sense. Otherwise I would just put my key in your car, synchronise it and then have a key that would open ur car up. Theres no need to copy the key blade as its all electronic doo dah's.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I too have the same problem with a key.
    It is off a 2000 Model Astra. The key does not have an LED but I have tested it with a meter and an old TV within the range of the transmitter and the fob is also transmitting correctly.

I did have to re-solder the battery terminal on the fob and everything seems to be working as it should.

My question now is:

Is there anything within the car that would stop the remote CL from working?
    The central locking is working with the key.

I have only recently purchased this car but I have repaired 3 of these fobs before for friends / relatives as the battery connections seem to be a big downfall with them.
    Re-syncing does not work at all.
    My only guess is that the remote part of the fob is not the original one that came with the car.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    All you can really try is the resyncing mate

Apart from that it will have to be a expensive trip to vauxhall or try to speak to one of the guys there direct and offer him a drink
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast