Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

astra 1.6 16v mk4

hey all im new here .

i am looking into getting a astra when my insurance is up for renewal, i was just wondering over all what the 1.6 16v astra is like on mpg, are they alright on the motorway? etc.

im not expecting it to rip my face off just want something which can cope on the motorway aswell as town driving.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    The 1.6 16v engine is fine on the motorway. With sitting at 75mph you'll be lurking at the begging of where it comes on cam (most efficient), this means that accelerating from 75 upwards comes very easily and very quickly.

The only problem is really is it could do with another gear as when your just cruising the engine is making quite a bit of noise being up in the on-cam area but only 4-5 hour journeys will have you begging for a stop to stop the noise.

As for fuel consumption I find my 1.6 16v better on fuel (in mixed areas m,way / town / extra urban combined) than a 1.9CDTI diesel. I see aroudn 400miles per tank (52 litre).

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its a good little engine, although i only seem to get 30 mpg from it, with mainly urban driving and some motorway miles.

If you do a fair few motorway miles dont get a loud exhaust! such as the remus and irmscher back box as its a bit annoying after about 10 minutes of driving at 70od

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive got a irmy back box and can honestly say it makes hardly any difference in loudness compared to the standard one, thought the irmy was for pure looks rather than sound and performance. I get roughly 35-42mpg depending on me driving, late for work or OAP sunday morning driving. overallnice car is nippy when its goin as mentioned but dont expect miracles from a standing start o ive seen people on mobility scooters pull off quicker.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got a 2001 Y reg astra making the description above, i've got a k&n induction and magnex stainless cat-back, it does close to 400mile between fill ups, insurance is about £45 a month (tesco) i'm 24 with 4-5years no claims, it a good car cant really knock it
    Disclaimer: My views and opinions are exactly that. I do not encourage or condone the actions in posts.