Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.7dti Tuning

Hey all,
    New to the forums and new Vauxhall owner.

I got myself a Mk4 1.7DTI Sportive van recently, really like the feel of the car and am glad i got the nice seats. I've been thinking about a list of things i want to do to it and wanted to run it by some people in the know. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Handling
    Firstly, tyres. Was thinking Eagle F1's, the car came with 15" 195 wheels but i was thinking about upgradeing. What size wheels would the car handle best on without lowering it?

If i did lower it, what is the best ride height and wheel match to achieve maximum grip?

Engine

Will be carrying out the list in order unless i change my mind about something.

1.Full Service
    2.EGR valve
    3.Air box pipes
    4.Pre-Cat
    5.Vectra Intake
    6.Panel Filter
    7.De-Cat
    8.Backbox
    9.Bigger intercooler
    10.Re-map

Does anyone know if a Dti will pass its MOT with a De-cat? Also will a Backbox just make it sound tinny and nasty or would it sound nice with the decat. Anyone know of any good intercoolers that i could get from a scrappy and bolt on in the old ones place? Is there anything else i'm missing, like fuel pumps, uprated glow plugs etc.

Celtc tuning qoutes the car to be at 115 with a remap so i'm hoping with all this to reach around 140-150BHP mark with this setup.

Thanks.

J

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You won't like this, but the best handling Mk4s run on 14" steels. The suspension was designed for them. Realistically, though, get a set of SRi/SXi 16" rims and fit the 205/50-16 tyres. Will handle well, and you won't end up with damaged wheels as can sometimes happen with 17s or above on the Mk4.

You currently don't need a cat on a diesel for MOT - but that may change. Easiest way to get round that is to get a friendly garage to cut open the cat and rip out the inners, then weld it up again. On my 2.0DTi decatting released about 4hp and nearly 50lb/ft of torque.

The way I'd go is:

Vectra C intake, panel filter;
    Decat and 2.25" full stainless system (can be tuned to be quiet, or sound like a JCB, your choice);
    Remap.

With above, you should see 120hp. 140-150 is a little optimistic, and I don't fancy the chances of the F17 gearbag lasting long with the torque you'd be producing with that power.

Celtic are being a bit optimistic with 115hp too I think, anything above 105hp with no other mods starts to give a little too much black smoke to be comfortable.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    14's? lol.

So are the SRI's on different springs and shocks? The Sportive came with some snazzy 15's but i was thinking about having them off. Any ideas what height it would handle best at?

On my 2.0DTi decatting released about 4hp and nearly 50lb/ft of torque
    F**K! scuze my french but thats a pretty restrictive cat!!

Whats your current setup if you don't mind me asking?

Has anyone had any experience with fitting an intercooler to a DTI? Under the bonnet we can see the intercooler at the front on the right with the aircon to the left of it. Personnally, i am not gonna use the AC and it has de-pressurised so was gonna remove it and plug up the pipe. This would leave a sizeable area for an intercooler to be mounted.

What turbo is fitted to the 1.7 DTI and what pressure is it set to? Is it worth a boost controller and gauge?

Maybe a good way to go would be:

Jay's Stage 1 (might do this on the weekend if i can)
    1.Full Service
    2.EGR valve
    3.Air box pipes
    4.Pre-Cat
    5.Vectra Intake
    6.Panel Filter
    7.De-Cat
    8.Backbox

Jay's Stage 2
    9.Bigger intercooler
    10. Injectors from the 2.2 DTI
    11. Boost controller and Gauge
    12.Re-map

So the gearbox is crap, damnit.. that may through a spanner int he works.. Anything i could realistically do about it?

O, and is the EGR a DIY job or should i get it done when i get it serviced?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i haVe an astravan 1.7 dti with 18" alloys, and an aftermarket arfilter, which is bettervectra c filter or the aftermarket Airfilter, my van feels the sameon the pick up even with the 18" also do u knw anywhere in birmingha for a remap wats the standard bhp on the astravan envoy 1.7 dti???

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Astravanman1 View Post
    i habe an astravan 1.7 dti with 18" alloys, and an aftermarket arfilter, which is bettervectra c filter or the aftermarket irfilter, my van feels the sameon the pick up even with the 18" also do u knw anywhere in birmingha for a remap wats the standard bhp on the astravan envoy 2.7 dti???
    2.7 if you mean 1.7 dti its bowt 75 bhp

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Missed this thread again.

jay, when I sold the 2.0DTi it had a decat, 2.25" Powerflow full system, and otherwise standard. Pulled 103hp and just under 210lb/ft down below 1500rpm which was pretty awesome. 25mph in 4th up a hill with 4 people in the car and it could accelerate no bother. 5th was useable from 35mph.

The bigger IC is simple, it only needs plumbed in as the ECU will compensate automatically.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...