Thread: Airflow mod sugestion plz??

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Airflow mod sugestion plz??

Ok heres my last restriction in regards to airflow, because my car is obviously not the best scope to modifying seeing as i crashed it ..
    any how any surgestion to allowing more air to flow from the airbox to the throtle bodie

oh and ignore the airfilter its no longer on the car standard box is now back on (derestricted and k&n panel filter of course)

You can see from the image which part im talking about so is there another way of deristricting that or puting another feed pipe on from another engine because as far as i am aware this is the last restriction to airflow.
    The air box as you probably know has a certain diameter well the pipe attatched from the highlighted area actually tappers down in diameter size(hence the restriction)

So please Any surgestions would be apreciated

Cheap alternatives not take the engine out and drop a zlet or a clet or any kind of different displacement engine init cos ive already toyed with that idea on many ocassions and simply cant afford it. So im trying to improve what i have..
    COURTNEY stage 2 135bhp proven X18XE1
    Astra G SXI, veccy c pipe, remus center section, 4" jap style exhaust. And apparently an import

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You could have left the cone filter on as 8v engines respons quite well to them and dont suffer as badly with heatsoak like the 16v stablemates.

personally (ive got same engine) I whipped off all the air intake plastics - and i mean every single bit from the throttle body to the air intake - fitted a cone like the one above - whacked on some 5" diamater UPVC ducting and fitted it direct from cone to throttle body...sucks like a good un! You'll need to remove or block up the vacuum pipe that runs from the air intake to the TB ( a little self tapper fills the gap perfectly) and you'll need to relocate the crankcase vents - but a few lengths of hose and some filters and ur sorted. bin the original air intake - either fit an enlarged Vectra C one or make ur own!

Ive got yet another home made mod....an air intake that runs the full width of the grill lol

Perfect!!!

(Well apart from today when I drove thru a flood and got a little bit of water in the engine lol but in everyday conditions its perfect)

Let me know if ur interested and I'll send ya a pic.... dont post on here as it does look quite comical! lol

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i woulda kept the filter but it kinda developed a hole underneith where it had been rubbing against the engine mount (wich is shiny now) so had to bin it plus i couldn't be arsed to buy another one thts the main reason i went down the derestricted box route.
    I have got the vec c pipe its not shown cos its an old image

how did u secure it to the throttle bodie because tht sounds like an interesting idea what amount of work did u have to put inand how long did it take ya..

Please send me a pic im curious now
    COURTNEY stage 2 135bhp proven X18XE1
    Astra G SXI, veccy c pipe, remus center section, 4" jap style exhaust. And apparently an import

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i just heated up the end of the ducting and forced it over the TB - its actually just held in place with a massive jubilee clip and a bit duct tape for now - does the job but aint pretty!

BUT my bonnet only opens when it needs to be - certainly aint gonna be open for showin off like the turbo boys lol
    Yeah I'll try and grab a pic and send it.

Filter is held in place with a L shape bracket that secures onto the wing and thats it...

I'll sort out the pic now

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I had a cone on mine (z16se) but due to the fuel draining so quickly I put the modded airbox back in

I have a pic of mine in my garage
    97' OMEGA GLS 2000 - 98' ASTRA 1.7TD low blow estate rolling coal