Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

castrol gtx for astra.

Hi,
    I drive a 2001 astra club 1.6 16v. Is it ok to use castrol gtx 10w 40 a3/b3 as engine oil and is castrol gtx synthetic or semi synthetic
    Thanks
    Pete.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Castrol Magnetec, Castrol GTX come in all grades, I have a coupe 1.816v which is getting serviced sunday....I use Castrol GTX Magnetec 10w/40 Semi Synthectic a3/b3
    I dont want to be a product of the enviroment.

I want the enviroment to be a product of me...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Any 10/40 A3 oil will work a treat don't waste your money on fully synthetic, go for a semi
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It is semi that is a waste of money, as soon as they get really hot they burn off thier small amount of synthetic properties, like mobil does but at least they are cheaper.
    If yo do got fully synthetic you can always double the change intervals without any harm at all.
    tabetha

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    don't agree.

I've run engines in excess of 250k on semi.
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    double the change interval and double the muck in the oil to damage your engine.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    GTX Magnatec is pretty good, I got good service from it. But, I found the cheap Halford's fully synthetic was better for the same price. It's the stuff in the silvery bottles.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabetha View Post
    It is semi that is a waste of money, as soon as they get really hot they burn off thier small amount of synthetic properties, like mobil does but at least they are cheaper.
    If yo do got fully synthetic you can always double the change intervals without any harm at all.
    tabetha
    our Oil man in work says Change the Oil as its Cheap £10 every 5k well worth it and a lot cheaper then a new engine

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've seen taxi's in excess of 400,000 miles on standard mineral oils, doesn't mean a thing.
    As for muck in the oil, the FILTER takes that out, change it at normal intervals, but you can if using a QUALITY oil safely double the change intervals.
    Do you people never use a flush then ?
    I do every change in my car, the oil is £45 for 5 litres and gets changed every 12,000 miles, and is still better when it comes out than most new oils.
    Cheap oils are cheap for a reason, my engine would not last a 1000 miles with a cheap oil, it would kill the turbo first then the rest.
    Use a cheap oil and change every 5000 miles, someone knows nothing about oil.
    A MASSIVE research project has just recently been undertaken in the states, with VERY surprising results, including a diesel artic that had no oil change for 500,000 miles running on GOOD oil, wear was still within NEW tolerances, when stripped.
    All the major oils were tested, CASTROL WAS FOUND TO BE A JOKE, this was RS10W60, not the LESSER castrol oils, MOBIL 1, FULLY synthetic one did not have any viscosity retention whatsoever, maybe because the FULLY SYNTHETIC content was found to be less than 10%!!
    If you want advice about oil speak to the OILMAN, OPIE OILS 01209 215164.
    They sell pretty much all oils, so have nothing to gain by recommending one oil over another.
    My info came from someone I know who is a research scientist researching oil for F1 teams(on a project), as well as general motoring circles.
    tabetha
    tabetha

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I always use Vauxhall Semi-Synthetic every 5-10K because it was made for the engine, we would use fully systhetic on the LEH/LEL/LET
    If it's use to anyone......

Vauxhall Oil
    5L Semi Synthetic - 93165216 - £25.62 inc vat
    5L Fully Synthetic - 93165212 - £47.00 inc vat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast