AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Silver Side Strips

Hello

I have a silver astra turbo hatchback.
    I would like to colour code it and paint the door handles and side strips silver - but id prefer to do it whilst there on the car. This means i cant really do it until a couple of months since the weather will be constant wind or rain, and since ill be doing it outside (as have no where else i can do it) i will have to wait.

BUT

I have noticed that the 2004 turbo model has these strips on their as standard silver? couldnt i just purchase these from sumwhere, rip the old ones out and replace them? if so any ideas where may sell them,?

thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just do what everyone else does and remove the strips - they take all of about 5 seconds to remove each one - u dont even have to take the door cards off - theres a how-to on the site if u give me a min to find it - just a case of nudging the front ones from the front enought to slide them back off the runners,,,,and nudging the rear ones forward enough to slide them forwards off the runners... simple as.

Means u can paint them at ur leisure in a nice warm environment if possible

u can purchase new ones from vx - u may be able to get them in silver but theres 3 shades of star silver so u may get the wrong shade

Easiest option and cheapest is to whip em off and paint em ur self - cheap a chips and easy to do - just follow the How-To for painting interior plastic trim - its the same procedure.

All i would advise is using a good paint stockist - Vx sell rattle cans but theyre only dinky 150ml cans for approx £7 whereas a supplier like www.paints4u.com charge approx £12 for a 400ml can.

Halfords IMO are totally useless when it comes to paint even their so called matching service has varied results....

The same goes for the handles - these are far easier to paint off the car - u could however get a replacement pair from ebay or a breakers - and paint these up - when finished just transfer em over and sell ur old ones on.

I ran my car for weeks without the bumpstrips fitted - just means u have a few holes in the door - wow no major biggy tho.

HTH

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I totally agree with the above, I am in the middle of spraying my turbo skirts, and then next week the bump strips are coming off for a few coats!

However, with regards to 'just a case of nudging the front ones from the front enought to slide them back off the runners' - Not true, the How To says there are 2 screws holding them on, therefore you have to remove the doorcard! I have tried to remove them before, but had no luck, so I believe there are screws!

Don't hesitate to ask for photo's etc as I do it if you want them!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

f

Hi

Yea i would like to rip them off but again, only if 1) nothing snaps off and 2) there easy to get back on again other wise my car will look poo.

Please post pics if you can matey as would help.

thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cant really do it with them fitted, need to remove them but it will be worth it looks 100 times better,
    i got mine done (see my garage under my name) and was really worth it, isnt alot of work,
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maskell View Post
    However, with regards to 'just a case of nudging the front ones from the front enought to slide them back off the runners' - Not true, the How To says there are 2 screws holding them on, therefore you have to remove the doorcard!
    Sorry mate but ur so wrong.

How many times have u tried?

Ive removed several bumpstrips off several mk4 and they all come off like I said.... Yes the "official" way according to Haynes etc is to remove the cards but u really dont need to.

Check out this:

Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg

Ok eyes down.

Front doors (all Mk4's except coupés)

1, Firstly open the door slightly, just on the latch will do fine.
    2, Get a short piece of wood, (something like a 2x2) and place it on the vertical front edge of the rub strip, almost parallel to the door skin but at a very slight angle.
    3, With the heel of you free hand, give the end of the wood a sharp slap - imagine your getting the last bit of ketchup out of a bottle, that's how hard.
    4, Your aiming to move the strip backwards along the door about 1½cm, so it may take two slaps.
    5, Put the wood down and starting at one end, carefully waggle the door strip off the door, taking care around the centre clip - this is the one that is screwed on from the inside, all the rest fit into keyhole slots.

Front doors (coupé)
    Remove the screw insde the rear edge of the door, and the nslide backwards

Rear doors (Mk4)
    Employ the same process as above but the strips need to slide towards the front of the car (open the front door when you do this).

Rear ¼Panel (3dr)
    Exactly the same as the front doors - the clips are different and the strip has to go back a wee bit further.

Inspect all the clips to make sure that they are all intact before refitting and replace as necessary. If you've bust the centre clip, then it's a door cards off time, my hamfisted friends.

Refitting - doors
    Slide the strips into the keyhole slots and align in the correct position (ensure all clips are in their respective holes) and the give the centre clip a good whack with the hand to lock it down. Refit screw (on coupé)

Refitting ¼Panel
    Just push it back onto the clips.

Job done.

Hundreds if not thousands of members on here have done their own bumpstrips using the above method so Id say u were one of the unlucky few who's strips seized in some way.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok then mate!