Thread: Did a sily thing today. But was lucky

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Did a sily thing today. But was lucky

The coolant level warning had come up on the MFD yesterday, so checked it this morning before going anywhere. Was slightly low in the expansion tank, so i went in to the garage to get some antifreeze (better that than water at this time of year eh.) Unscrewed the lid off the tank and placed on the battery bag, topeed up with anitfreeze, all back together, antifreeze in the boot, just incase it needed any more, then off i went. Pulled up in a car park after traveling 30 miles, and noticed steam coming from the engine bay. not much, just a little. popped the bonnet to have a look and see if i had any leaky hoses or anything. as i was pulling the second bonnet catch, i clicked what i'd done. Lifted the bonnet, and there was the cap, still sitting on top of the battery. Coolant still at the same level too. I wonder if the expansion tank lid had been squeezed between the battery bag and the insulation on the under side of the bonnet. who knows.
    What kind of difference would there of been after doing a 30 miles trip with no cap on the tank?
    Mk5 Astra 888 CDTI No.58
    "you can’t help but drive the 888 Astra hard, everywhere, constantly" - Evo Magazine.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lol. Garage was PACKED on saturday evening, and I got some fuel.. left my keys wallet and card on the desk when I paid got in my car, put seatbelt on (autopilot!), reached for my pocket and.. crap! I looked like a right todger lol! Must be that time of year :P

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just no pressure in the coolant system,nothing to worry about as when you put new hoses on you take the lid off and fill to the level and then allow it to run to get out the air leaks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J VXR
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Add Moonman on Facebook
    Not as bad as me today, I drive transit vans mostly all week and the fog light switch is to pull the headlamp dial towards you in the dipped beam position. I got in my car yesterday and it was damn foggy so i did the same to turn my fog lights on without thinking and wondered why my interior lights came on instead. So I spent two hours stripping out all the custom lights I had installed inside recently thinking that they had to be the culprit only for that not to be the so called problem so I then came home from work only to post in the technical section about how I can't turn my fog lights on in my car to then be reminded that the fog light button is underneath the dial not built into it. DDDDUUUUUUHHHHHHH.
    Summit White Astra J GTC VXR 2.0L Petrol Turbo (276 PS) with Aero Pack and 20's

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonman View Post
    Not as bad as me today, I drive transit vans mostly all week and the fog light switch is to pull the headlamp dial towards you in the dipped beam position. I got in my car yesterday and it was damn foggy so i did the same to turn my fog lights on without thinking and wondered why my interior lights came on instead. So I spent two hours stripping out all the custom lights I had installed inside recently thinking that they had to be the culprit only for that not to be the so called problem so I then came home from work only to post in the technical section about how I can't turn my fog lights on in my car to then be reminded that the fog light button is underneath the dial not built into it. DDDDUUUUUUHHHHHHH.
    sorry just had to laugh at that one.

I know how you feel though, because at work i drive all kinds of vehicles from small cars too HGV's, and our work van is a Toyata Hilux and the hand brake is one of these silly poles in the dash below steering wheel that you have pull to apply the handbrake.
    I bet you can guess what comes next
    Yep thats right, after my shift, i get into my vauxhall astra and after starting the engine up, i reach under my steering wheel to release the handbrake which ofcourse doesnt belong there in an astra, and its not always at work either, most imbarrasing time is when all your mates are in the car, i feel like a complete TO**ER

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    done this with the oil cap as well, only got down the road to the petrol station, good job i notice when i got there lol didn't loose much but made a bit of a mess under the bonnet!
    ARDEN BLUE GSI