Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter

Angry Fuel Filters

Well I've spent 4 hours under the corsa fitting a new petrol filter to the car. The old one had rusted so baldy it had actually started leaking petrol. Needless to say when my missus arrived home last night it really smelled bad!!!

So first thing this morning (8am) I went to Vauxhall got a new filter. Started removing the old one. But there is no way on gods earth it was moving. Ended up breaking a clip on the petrol tank side! So now I need a whole new peice of tubing and connector from the tank to the petrol filter £17.50 can't have it till tomorrow but I've now got to drop the tank .

Pushed on the remains of the clip to the filter. Slotted in quite well and was on quite nicely. (I couldn't budge it off). Started the car. LIFE. It ran... for 30 seconds then abruptly cut out as the pressure on the fuel line had popped the feed off the filter and was now spraying petrol all over my drive .

So now I smell like petrol, I'm cold through to the bone, I feel high from the bloody fumes and I'm hugely late for work. I know I've got a mission ahead of me with the tank 75% full.

So word of warning this filter was 7 years old and well overdue a replacement!!!

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Why was the filter not changed in 7 years?
    This is vauxhall country...on a quiet night you can hear the fords rust!!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cripes, I was planning on changing the FF on the Astra. Never changed one before so should be fun!
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc_Sxi View Post
    Why was the filter not changed in 7 years?
    Basically and not putting too finer point on it. The corsa is a shit box. I hoping someone will nick it or burning it out. Its a complete Friday afternoon car. Nothing is right with it.

I refuse to spend money on it period.

jam
    Next year the missus gets a nice new astra thats for sure!
    Its a jam thing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tip if the tank is full. Get a watering can or similar fluid holding device & a large 20litre fuel can. Take the pipe off the fuel tank eng of the filter and put it in previously afformentioned fluid holding device, then gradually run the fuel out the tank, emptying the smaller fluid holding device into the larger petrol can as and when required. Saves having to mess around will a tank thats full.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    good luck with it jam, you just reminded me that i need to change mine, it hasnt been changed in 30k

anyone know where it would be on a z16se?
    Observe the masses and do the opposite

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Drives
    Astra G SXi Z20LET ;)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    i changed the filters on both my SXi and dad's 1.6 8v active, IIRC its just below & behind the passenger door

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

looking at that what you could do is use 2 cable ties to hold the line on the filter or 2 small steel worm drive clips i did this on the works astra's when doing the filters they snap when COLD

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Thats currently how it lies Danny with 2 substancial cable ties around it. But because its a cylinder it 'could' fall off. So I don't want to drive too far on it. The part arrives tomorrow so I'll drain the tank fit it and see how it goes. Didn't want to go driving round brum and end up stranded. Especially as I was late for work and am very very busy today!!!

Dave will the pump run on acc position and drain it that way or will I need to gain access to the tank and drain it manually?

jam
    Its a jam thing

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey View Post
    Tip if the tank is full. Get a watering can or similar fluid holding device & a large 20litre fuel can. Take the pipe off the fuel tank eng of the filter and put it in previously afformentioned fluid holding device, then gradually run the fuel out the tank, emptying the smaller fluid holding device into the larger petrol can as and when required. Saves having to mess around will a tank thats full.
    Halleluyah!

I'd never work on a tank that was 75% full. Not only is it dangerous but at todays prices losing fuel to the driveway isn't an option
    Europa Blue Astra Coupe Turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast