Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question 2nd MOT & fumes

Hi all,

It's come round quickly but it's time for my GSI's 2nd MOT next week. I'm pretty much praying that all will be ok but I've noticed over the past little while when starting the car that there are really bad fumes coming out of the exhaust. Like the kind of petroly/cold car fumes you'd expect from some old banger! I can't smell anything in the car itself but I'm just wondering whether this is normal older car behaviour (4 yrs old now) or whether it will affect the MOT (emmissions?). Any thoughts? The car/engine seems fine otherwise, no dodgy noises, good starter etc....

Cheers!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I actually quite like that smell... Have you removed your pre cat???

Basically it takes a while for cats to work as they need to warm up. When they MOT your car they have to alow the car to warm up before doing the test.
    Arden Astra GSI - Phase 3.5

EDS Phase 3.5 288 BHP 340 FT/LB

Inlet cam and Dbilas manifold.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Haha well it reminds me of my Mum's old Chevette!!!!

I haven't removed my pre cat no. But that does make sense and it's fine once it's warmed up so fingers crossed!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you've still got your cats fitted you should be fine
    Europa Blue Astra Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well the emmissions were fine. Unfortunately, though, it failed due to one of the rear brackets that mount the exhaust having come away so that's, apparently, 220 quid to fix Not really sure how that happens on a 4 year old, low mileage car but I guess it's just one of those things! Do these brackets just come off like that? Through normal wear and tear? It's only one out of however many there are so I don't see where the 220 quid is going, not sure how much of that is parts and how much is labour tho! Always happens round xmas tho doesn't it! Grrr!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Common problem On Rear Boxs

Quote Originally Posted by tanz View Post
    Well the emmissions were fine. Unfortunately, though, it failed due to one of the rear brackets that mount the exhaust having come away so that's, apparently, 220 quid to fix Not really sure how that happens on a 4 year old, low mileage car but I guess it's just one of those things! Do these brackets just come off like that? Through normal wear and tear? It's only one out of however many there are so I don't see where the 220 quid is going, not sure how much of that is parts and how much is labour tho! Always happens round xmas tho doesn't it! Grrr!
    The same happen to my gsi after 4 years. The weld on the bracket becomes rusty and breaks off. I just welded mine back on as I am in the trade. The 220 for the back section is dear, the exhaust should cost about 150.00. If you knew someone local in the trade they might of able to weld it up for you.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    you could buy a new exhaust system for £300 in SS Cat back

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmmm thing is they weren't very clear on what was actually being replaced. They are doing it tomorrow (thurs) as they said they didn't have the part in stock for a GSI. I'll give them a call first thing but it sounds like that for 220 quid I'd be expecting a new back box or something? Don't really know anyone round here in the trade so will just have to go with the flow with this.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    for £220 i would ask regal how much a after market exhaust system is Cat back