Thread: "The BIG three" help needed.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"The BIG three" help needed.

First off wasnt sure whether to post this in ICE or Electrical.... its electrical but related to adding ICE often so please feel free to move if it should be elsewhere!!

Ok...
    I have a standard setup currently - well a new headunit but thats it and I do notice that my headlights dim as I pull away from a cold start.
    I am thinking ahead as I have a sub going in shortly and have read a lot on these forums that people experience headlight flashing after installing a sub on heavy notes - since I have already noticed this I must consider this carefully.

Replacing the "big 3" cables from alt to batt etc seems to be the first port of call.
    Could anyone explain in lamans terms (preferably with piccies) exactly what I need and how to do this?

As I say I have read a lot about it in loads of posts about dipping lights and ICE installs here on the forum but most posts just say to replace these and I am not sure with what or how to actually do it - do you leave the existing cables as well for example?

1.6i 16v Astra G Hatch (if that helps)

Thanks in advance
    J

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    id say you have a problem if you have dimming headlights from a headunit either battery or alt if knackered id get these tested first

if you want to do the big three you put a peice of cable between the negative terminal on the battery to a good ground i used the original fixing point that vaux use its on the passenger side suspention turret

the second cable goes from engine block to chassie if you stand at the front of the car looking into the engine bay put ur hand on the slam pannel then look down you will see some metel webing stuff that goes from a bolt on the block to the slam pannel copy that with you new cable

and the alt ive not found a good way o do that im waiting for warmer weather as its an alternator of job in my opinion to get it to look good and get good conections
    anyway this cable should go from the positive terminal on the battery round the engine bay to the alt on my engine its on the left of the engine bay tucked away under the inlet piping there is a big bolt on the alt with a large cable on it you bolt the other end of yours to that

ive used 2awg as that what i had left over from previous instals but 4awg or bigger should be used and leave the standard cables in placeaswell

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    think autoSRi has it pretty much covered there

only thing I would add is that 4awg will be fine, when you see the size of the wire you'll be taking out, you will see that 4awg is a MASSIVE improvement
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i think my original cable for the battery was 10mm/8awg cable it was pissy stuff also i left the other stuff in can only help

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers all for the swift replies!

Ok I will have a look/bash at this next weekend (next time I will see daylight thanks to work lol)

Yeah my headlights dimming worried me as well to be honest until a friend from work mentioned that his has always done the same thing.
    I only notice it mainly when setting off for work - as I am pulling away and occasionally when I am am reversing back into drive at night....but as I say thats when 'I' notice it - its possible it is constantly dipping I suppose.

I know nothing about cars but my battery 'looks' old to my untrained eyes.
    Never had a problem starting though so assuming its just dirty lol.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you can get somthing done at places like quick fit ect they do whats called a drop test and that will tell you the condition of the battery and get an auto electrician to check the alt is working as it should

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cool - I will pop in to the local Bathwick Tyres they have been very good and honest with us previously.
    The more I think about it - it could very well be the battery. Every photo I have seen of the insode of bonnets (quite a few this evening!) has cleanish batteris with clean connections - mine looks haggered and rusty!

I will get it checked as you suggest rather than jumping in headfirst but assuming it is the battery....and this may sound a bit silly but is there any battery stats that I should look for?
    Looking online most seem to be 44ah but I am 'sure' I read somewhere out there in the WWW that you can get a 72ah battery for an Astra - now that sounds a LOT more powerful (without knowing anything about anything car related....at all!!) but cant seem to find any that are anywhere near that powerful.
    Just 44ah's and one 45ah.

Are all batts more or less the same or should I be looking for something specific?

Thanks for your assistance on this!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    definately get a 72aH battery if you can mate, as it will hold more charge. however, if your alternator or its connections isn't up to scratch then you'll still drain it.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vauxhall GO batterys are pretty big but i just measured the physical size that would fit and said to one of the garages get as close to thos measurments cant remember sizes or output but it absolutly fills the tray

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as auto says you have a problem, which upgarding the big 3 will not solve for you. Get down to vauxhall and get you electrical system checked, before you go down any path like upgrading the big 3.

Remember wiring needs to be done properly, so start there first. Also always work out your current draw of you new system and calculate what you system has in reserve. If it is not enough then you start to upgrade. Not before you even have anything in. And no a new headunit is not anything substantial or particularky new either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast