Thread: Wife's Car Failed MOT. Help Please

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wife's Car Failed MOT. Help Please

Bad news for me. The wifes 1998 Astra G failed the MOT test today. I was afraid it might fail on the emissions, given the rough idleing which I haven't sorted yet, but actually it failed on the brakes.

The report said, brake discs and pads badly worn so no problem there I can replace those easily enough. The problem is that it also says off side front brake pipe and near side rear brake pipe badly corroded. I told the garage that I would put the things right myself but I don't have a clue how to replace the brake pipes.

Can I buy the pipes ready to fit or do I need to buy a length of pipe and bend it to shape and cut it to length?

If I have to bend it myself how do I do this without kinking the pipe when I bend it?

Is this something I should be taking on myself in the first place?

Please help. I don't want to go back and ask them to do it now.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You should be able to either buy correct brake pipes from vauxhall dealer..

alternatively, try a local motor factor...they will probably be able to make one up for you.
    If you can take the old ones needing replaced with you, then it will be better.

Bending it - just bend it gently, or get the motor factor to do it.

Then as long as you are comfortable bleeding brakes, you should manage okay

Hope it goes well for you...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As above, or do the pads and discs yourself,
    then book it back into that gge to supply and fit the brake pipe then do the MOT on the same day.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The offside front brake pipe is a nightmare to do if the new pipe was pre shaped you would have to bend it anyway to fit it as it weaves across the bulkhead. As said above replace the discs and pads and let the garage have the hassle of the pipes.

NO RISK NO FUN

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks For Your Help

Thanks for all your help guys. I've decided to go down the cowards route, given the force 9 gale that is raging at the moment and the fact that the car is booked for the retest on Monday afternoon.

I will replace the discs and pads today and the car is booked in to have the pipes replaced at the garage on Monday morning.

Sticks in my throat a bit to pay the garage to do the work but as I've never done this before I think it would be best on this occasion. Perhaps, in the summer, I'll have a go at the other two pipes to see what's what.

Once again, huge thanks for your assistance and sensible advice.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorted

So, I was up at 0800 this morning to finish the brake disc and pad replacement. Chucking it down with rain and blowing a gale still and it was still virtually dark.

Since when have brake pads been handed?? i.e. different left side and right side?? Well they are for a 1998 Astra 'G'.

Once I had that sorted everything went on like a dream except for the water pouring from every surface and down the back of my coat.

Got everything put back together and decided to take the car for a SLOW brake test. Panic, I'd forgotten to pump the brake pedal before I set off so the pedal almost went to the floor.

Great result, the car not only stops but also it stops in a straight line. Got back, put the car on the drive, cleared up, put all my tools away and, as if by magic, the sun came out. Still a bit blowy but it is now a beautiful day.

The moral of this tale?

Get your MOT done in the summer and don't leave it until the day before it runs out before you get the test done.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    been there and done that..and I agree mot in the summer

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hint, use black was oil on you brake pipes, any surface corrosion wil be deal with and covered up.
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!