Thread: 2.0 DTI rattling

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

2.0 DTI rattling

recently when i was driving with the windows down i noticed a loud rattlin noise. Getting someone to drive me with my head out the passengers window i have discovered its coming from the rear wheel area on that side. Its a loud rattling noise more noticeable over bumpy roads an i think more too when the weight is off that side ( eg turing left into a corner ). It still rattles on a sooth road but more so with the above. Ive had the car jacked up and cant find anything loose so im a bit confused to be honest! i know the wheel on that side is very slightly buckled and needs straightened but i dont think that is causing it. Any ideas anyone?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rear shock top mounts. Bet tomorrow's lunch on it.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is this a costly poblem to fix? can you but this part or get a second hand one or what?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To fix mine all it needed was two new bolts - I think the total bill was less than a tenner, though I fitted them myself.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thats not so bad if its simple enough il do it myself but at least its nothing serious as at the minute im looking at having to buy a new EGR valve at £300+ and the labour on top of that
    thanks for your help

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    this happend on my dads 52 plate 3 series... wen we baought brand new about two weeks later there was a kncking rataling sound from behind the rear seats... took it back to the dealer... both rear top mounts were rediculously loose... got them done under warenty.... about a year or so later.... BOTH rear springs snaped.. was halarious... my dad hates low cars his was sagging badly at the back was lower than mine!! but yea thats wat it sounds like the rear top mounts!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well iv changed the whole shock as it wasnt in great condition tho didnt change the bolts. it seemed to solve the prob for a bit but now its back. Do i actually need to replace the bolts as they seemed fine? It was simple enough..take out 2 bolts top and bottom replace shock and tighten up right? You mention top mount is this where the top bolt screws into?