Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i have just bought my first astra :)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i have just bought my first astra :)

itís a 1.6i 8V on a T plate with full dealership service history... thank you ppl you know who you are for helping me decide in the other post I started.. Right the cars a lot more comfortable from what I been driving... I been a saxo man since 7 years ago (being a CitroŽn saxo mechanic) my first car was a Saxo VTR 1.6 8v very nippy car especially at low rpm. Liked it so much that second car was a 02 plate VTR lol... then later did an upgrade to a 2000 plate saxo VTS boy was that a nippy car... after a while I started to tire out of the saxo because the only advantage about the cars were that they were fast. Comfortable they were not, neither large... so I though I get me self an old astra 1.6 to start off with... and here I am... I will post pics up soon... thank you for reading this random post lol

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hopefully after a little while im aiming to get a GSi Turbo on 03 plate above

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    by the way one think ive noiced is that the temp takes some time to warm up to minimum.. when i first bought it yesterday though the car had somesort of heating issue and that the person disconnected the gauge so it dont display lol.. but it was just that it took some time for the temp to move up to minimum

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry if its in wrong section... the powers that be please move thankyou

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    move it..nah..you continue to have a conversation with yourself

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fit a new thermostat, flush the coolant and it'll probs be resolved.

Seeing as its the X16SZR engine it could be good old head gasket on its way out - might be worthwhile having it tested but if theres no signs of HGF (water/oil contamination, loss of power etc) then I'd just whack in a new stat and away u go....

Mine used to be the same - now the dial moves as it should...

get it reconnected again and get it fixed . no arthur daly bodges here please

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi - I too have a 1.6 8v astra. As all new owners of this engine will find out the first thing that usually needs replacing is the thermostat. Because the needle never moves - it only moves up when the car is stationery in traffic? Yet I bet you get warm air coming through quickly!

Yup, time to change the thermostat! Oh and you need to remove the cambelt to do it! So either get your belt changed soon as well.

Surely a 1.6 8v astra is significanly slower than the VTR, VTS? But you are right, the astra is a comfortable car particularly on long journeys I find!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the astra may only have 75 ponies as standard compared to the 90/120 or whatever the later model VTR/VTS has but the quality and comfort is lightyears ahead so I can see why he could prefer it to the Shitroens...

either way get the stat, cambelt, tensioner, water pump replaced.... cheap as chips on this engine and all parts can be had for less than £100

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ah ok, I have the z16se which is 83bhp presumbably because it is MPi whereas the earlier X16szr was single point as on this chaps T reg car.

It has more than enough power for me, I just wondered how much of difference there was in ponies between the astra and those VTS's

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The VTR 1999 below has 90Bhp single plug ecu as for 1999 above has 98Bhp 3 plug ecu. The VTS has 120 Bhp 1998 and above... the cars can be modified very easily to achieve higher figures. VTR pulls better lower down the rev range as VTS screams at higher revs... I know they have a chavy image but they are bought because they have very quick throttle responses and are very quick to go and rev happy engines... plus not to mention you can throw them around corners at ridiculous speeds...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast