Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra head bolt !!!

Hi,

Wonder if anyone out there can help me - if this has been asked before - my apologies but I did have a look through some previous posts and couldn't find anything...

My Astra 1.6 GLS (a Mk2 I think) has a burnt exhaust valve and my dad is removing the head. The head bolts are TORX, the size being E12. The standard size TORX socket seems to fit ok BUT the TORX splines on the bolt appear to taper outwards a bit near the bottom. One bolt has already broken - the top half inch or so snaps off. Obviously the correct size TORX butts up against this taper - if the socket had a matching taper it would obviously slide down the bolt a couple of mm more and hopefully give a better grip.

Sorry if my description is rather non-technical...

We've looked at a number of TORX sockets in various shops and they're all the same.

We went to the local GM garage and they say there's no special tool for removing these bolts - just a standard TORX

Anyone out there with some ideas please ???

Please...

GreenAstra

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome...I can only suggest that you try and put pressure downwards to help with grip.

You wont get a torx socket with that taper, its just part of the manufacturing process, not a feature of 'torx'

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No chance u could hammer a smaller socket on, or cut a slot in the head so u could use a large flat blade providing u could get the required leverage.

my personal choice would be hammering a socket (correct/smaller) and using a rattle gun....

good luck - sorry we dont appear to givin the advice u wanted but keep us posted on how u get on.

Oh and one thing - i trust u are using good quality torx sockets..... cheap ones really are shit when it comes to this ive found...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra head bolts !!!

Hi,

Coo & GeordieBandit - thanks for the mails and advice...

>No chance u could hammer a smaller socket on, or cut a slot in the head so u could use a large flat blade providing u could get the required leverage<

I suspect that the ends of of the stud would just break off - I feel it's a really bad design as if I remember rightly the torx end is of smaller diameter than the stud so there's a weakness there.

> my personal choice would be hammering a socket (correct/smaller) and using a rattle gun....<

That might be worth a go...

Someone who's familiar with the torx head bolts will appreciate my problem I'm sure.

To knock a socket (maybe a slightly smaller one) over the torx is a problem as near the bottom there's a 45 degree taper so what we thought might be available was a torx-type of socket but with a matching taper - that way the socket would cover the whole length of the torx and partly ride up the taper.

I've been 'round literally dozens of tool shops and obviously whilst most of them sell torx sockets they're all the same of course. The local 'stealers' tell me they use a standard torx.

What happens is the end of the stud snaps off just above the taper (looking from the top). It's probably hardened steel and would obviously take a lot of drilling to remove the mangled end in order to get the head up off the block and over the stud. This is what the garage has had to do before. My mate said after doing the last Astra he'd run a mile if he saw another one !!! I persuaded him to strip mine down but I suspect he's regretting it !!! I daren't go near the garage as I suspect he'll kill me !!!

There must be a way of getting these studs off without the ends breaking off?

Thanks again for your time, the Astra belongs to my daughter who keeps on asking when will it be ready !!!!!!!!!

John