Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fog light fitting

Hi,
    I see there are lots of foggy threads. I did a search but can't find the answer i'm looking for but sorry in case its been asked a hundred times.

Anyway, i have a 2002 dti that i want to install foglights to. Will i need to swap the front bumper or are there blanks in the grill to pop out to make room for the lights?

I would go out and look but its parked in the street in the rain!
    Not used to these new fangled machines, but could answer any question you like on old volkswagens!

Thanks guys
    Daryl

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The fog bumper and normal are the same part but to fit fogs you need to cut out a section of the bumper witch I believe is marked.
    I'm like a bad penny, old, dirty, and appears when not wanted.
    Guess who's writing a victorian fantasy book. #JamesPurcell #The Diaries of James Purcell

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its marked on the back of the bumper, i did mine about 2 months ago, make sure you have the complete wiring and that the fogs work before cutting your bumper! I dread to think what trouble it would be if you didnt

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In my case cutting the bumper was the easiest part (it has marks on the back side). But the wiring wasn't there. Actually it was "half" there. Finally i connected the front fogs with the rear one (which was already there) using bigger fuse and relay. So be sure if you have all it needs if you don't want to do a "patent".

Can i replace the rear fog bulb (21W) with a smaller one (less watts=less light)?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    In what way was it half there? If it's behind the dash and no where else then it's easy to link up. Changing the fuse for a bigger of isn't advisiable as the wiring's still only rated at the orginal fuse rating

Linking them tother and running a smaller watage bulb in the rear would be a MOT failure

A side light bulb (5watt) would fit though
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The mechanic (not official service) said that he couldn't find the wire that was coming from the front fogs to the fuse box, there were no pins where the relay was going to fit and he couldn't "enable" the front fogs. I need the fog lights so i accepted this solution.
    The original wires that go to the front fogs were replaced. Do you think i 'll have any kind of problem in the future?

Linking them tother and running a smaller watage bulb in the rear would be a MOT failure

A side light bulb (5watt) would fit though
    I didn't understand that . Why the side light bulb wouldn't be a MOT(?) failure as though it is a smaller wattage bulb...

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Unfortunatly it sounds like the main part of your fog wiring is missing then so no real solution apart from a after market switch which IMO should be done

Your fog lights are there for brightness in extreme conditions, you want to put a lower wattage bulb in which then won't be efective in the fog
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well i mean just that. More light in front on dark mountain roads without blinding the one who follows when there is no fog (summer season ) and fog lights front-rear on winter! Thanks for the quick answers.

... or i could just tape the tail over the fog light when there is no fog....

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    TBH you may aswell just take the bulbs out the back if you want to go down this route and put them back when it's MOT time

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    surely you just need to find front fog light loom and install switch and fuse? or am i reading it wrong?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast