Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter

Rear View Mirror Removal - MOT query

When my car comes up for MOT in January, will I have a problem because I don't have a rear view mirror?

I removed mine with the plan of fitting a camera linked to my dash screen, but the one I ordered on ebay never turned up and I can't find one thats suitable at a decent price (plus at the minute with no job I'm going to struggle to be able to justify to the OH why I'm spending any money on the car )

I've gotten used to driving without one at the minute as its no different to driving my old van, but I just want to clarify it shouldn't be a problem when I come to putting through the MOT? I've removed the sticky bit off the windscreen too so there's no going back just for the MOT either
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well as far as i am aware you have to have one on the outside and one on the inside for it to pass the MOT.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    how do vans get through then? with blacked out doors & no way of seeing through the vehicle using an interior mirror (which a lot don't tend to have anyway)

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Although it dosen't look like the most reliable site in the world, I found this extract from : http://www.ukmot.com/6-6.asp

"Passenger vehicles with more than 7 passenger seats of any age, and all passenger vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1978 (not being a minibus as above), must have two mirrors, one of which must be option 'a'."

EDIT: Saw the same posted on another site, so basically by the looks of things aslong as you have both of your wing mirrors you don't need an interior mirror.

HTH
    2001 Vauxhall Astra MK4 1.6 16v SXI Flame Red

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You need to have at least two mirrors for the vehicle to pass an mot, this can be a combination of interior and exterior mirrors, therefore your two exterior mirrors would be fine Pete

HTH

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    cool. cheers guys