Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

engine managment light

sorry if this is in the wrong treat!
    i have a mk4 astra and was driving it on friday only to find my engine managment light come on.
    im not sure what this means but ive stopped driving that car now incase i make it worse. i was wondring if someone could tell me why this light would come on and am i looking at alot of money to sort out. thanks for your time.. stu

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    get it Diagnosed from a garage it can light up for a variety of diffrent faults but without the code could be a long time changing bits and pieces. was there any other change in the car before/now the light is on?
    Astra G SXI, Tints, Remus centre, twin backbox, Autoclosure, Rainbow dash LED's, debadged. POWER!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    First step......what year and engine is it.

If its early mk4 - ie upto 2001 you can self diagnose using a paperclip.

After 2001 then it'll need to be read using a diagnostic machine at a garage.

It'll be perfectly ok to drive it especially if it didnt enter limp mode - ie limited to 3k revs and not goin anywhere fast!!!

My suspicion is that it'll be the EGR valve - common fault and easy fix.

If its an early model then follow this previous thread i did to trace the fault codes ur self: http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...69&postcount=4

HTH

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thank you for your help its a 2000 model so im gunna give that a go. im not sure if its in limp mode i was on the m25 at the time so it was goin quite quick but ill try n sort it thank you

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just take it to vaux and get them to do a diagnostic check. Had engine management light a couple of times on my vectra a few years ago and they seemed to sort it out. Once it was only clogged up engine and needed flushing out. Cost about £75.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phoenix View Post
    Just take it to vaux and get them to do a diagnostic check. Had engine management light a couple of times on my vectra a few years ago and they seemed to sort it out. Once it was only clogged up engine and needed flushing out. Cost about £75.
    Why on earth should he take it to the dealers and pay about £70 when his car is OBD1 compliant and therefore a paperclip, a pen and a piece of paper - 5mins of his time and the same result will be achieved.

This may be the case on OBDII '01- cars but not the earlier ones which can be self diagnosed.

Anyway fingers crossed u find the troublesome code - post up ur findings on here and we'll diagnose the fault etc.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im going to do the work on the weekend when i have a bit more time thanks for helping me out

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have got the same problem at the mo, no change in performance as far as i can tel but the engine management light is on (not flashing tho)
    can i do the paper clip trick or is there another trick i can use to find out wat the problem is???
    prob bein a bit cheap but why pay the 40 quid ive been quoted for someone to have a look at it on a machine if i can do it for free lol

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    Why on earth should he take it to the dealers and pay about £70 when his car is OBD1 compliant and therefore a paperclip, a pen and a piece of paper - 5mins of his time and the same result will be achieved.

This may be the case on OBDII '01- cars but not the earlier ones which can be self diagnosed.

Anyway fingers crossed u find the troublesome code - post up ur findings on here and we'll diagnose the fault etc.
    Can the paper clip trick only be done on early mk4s mate?
    This is vauxhall country...on a quiet night you can hear the fords rust!!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    only OBDI compliant models so ur lookin at upto 2001

OBDII ('01 onwards) are a diagnostic hookup only....u can of course get plug in code readers for about £30 for OBDII models....about £60 upwards for OBDI/II models.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast