Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a detailing newbie please...

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter

Recommendations for a detailing newbie please...

I'm completely new to this detailing lark, so be gentle I struggle to even see the paint under the dirt most days, but when I spend a bit of time on the car I do appreciate the work I've put in, and I reckon I could get into it... so I'm looking into starting a collection and learning how to do it properly...

I know most people on here swear by their PC's or their UDM's... but what other recommendations does anyone have? or would a UDM/PC be best?

I've seen a Makita polisher (model #9227 IIRC) and can get it quite cheap, its also 240v which is a bonus (although not a problem as with being a Builder's family we have several 110 transformers knocking about ) are they any good?

also what products would be best for white paintwork?
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    To be honest mate am just gettin into the whole detailing world myself but what i can grasp is that a pc/udm is better for a newbie as you cant really do much paint damage with a pc/udm(orbital) and they are very easy to use and i think a makita(rotary) is a lot harder to use and you can damage the paint work with it too,
    I have got a udm and ive used it once and its great and cant wait to use it on my car,get over to www.detailingworld.co.uk and register as you will learn alot more on there,
    Astra Sri 2.2

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My mate Riggsey has started his own company doing it now. He did my car and I had a go with his UDM – I did a wing and my arms where killing – its not for the faint hearted
    Drives - Phase 2 Astra Mk3 Gsi = 139.56 BHP with 138.81 Torque

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quite correct kev i do the whole machine polishing process on entire cars and you know you have done it after you have finished imo its harder than doing it by hand and alot more effort required to get good results.
    Dont Hate the Player...............Hate the Game

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipervxr View Post
    Quite correct kev i do the whole machine polishing process on entire cars and you know you have done it after you have finished imo its harder than doing it by hand and alot more effort required to get good results.
    Totally agree there – we spent about 6 hours doing my car and by the end we where shattured!
    Drives - Phase 2 Astra Mk3 Gsi = 139.56 BHP with 138.81 Torque

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A good tip for any person new into detailing, and i learn't this the hard way...... Preparation is the key !!!
    Dont Hate the Player...............Hate the Game

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    I registered on DW a few months ago and have been scouting around and looking at things here & there, just wondered if anyone had any suggestons. so consensus is PC/UDM is better than the Makita? I've done a bit of looking into it and found that a lot of places use the Makita, I just wondered why?

any suggestions for anything else to get? pressure washer & foam lance or will a foam spray attachment for my hosepipe suffice? also as I said above, any suggestoins on what to use on white paintwork to keep it looking its best? There seems to be about 30million types of polish/wax etc that I don't know where to start

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Look slike silver line rotarys are popular on DW, another thing is iv noticed on there for the really hard jobs they all have a rotaty as well as UDM so as long as you learn / study how to use the rotary correctly you should be ok.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Meguiars have informed me about their new orbital polisher that should be launched in January. I will take stock of this immediately (after some testing) and the price should be very reasonable.

Watch this space!
    www.gpwizardcarcare.co.uk
    'Because you can never have too much of a good thing'

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    cheers for the replies guys but no-one's really given me any info!!!

Quote Originally Posted by peteg2004 View Post
    any suggestions for anything else to get? pressure washer & foam lance or will a foam spray attachment for my hosepipe suffice? also as I said above, any suggestoins on what to use on white paintwork to keep it looking its best? There seems to be about 30million types of polish/wax etc that I don't know where to start

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast