Thread: Car in the garage tomorrow (a little nervous)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Car in the garage tomorrow (a little nervous)

Well was driving home from work on Friday afternoon and the car started juddering, changed down a gear as thought i was too high and as it "revved" up a little all i heard was a really weird and not nice sounding "Popping" type noise underneath was that bad as it popped and rattled you could feel the pop through the accelerator.

Took it to VX as the Emissions light came on and he had a look (at £30) and said the cat has "gone" and the coil pack is knackered. what he said is the cat has probably disintergrated and as it has fallen through into the exhaust its probably blocked it up.

If you stand at the back of the car and put your hand by the exhaust its definatley popping and you can feel the "pop pop pop" with the air coming out.

Well as VX are a joke with prices i booked it into my local garage tommorow for the day and said it needs a new cat and can they check the coil's etc...

Has anybody had this before or know of something similar?? i can kind of see how it would affect it if the cat has blown through the exhaust and big sections have started blocking it up but would i also need a new exhaust on or can all the "old" cat be knocked out? im putting a remus centre on very soon so dont want to buy a full system if they can just change the coil pack, cat and then i bang the remus on it..

im a little nervous to the phone call that ill get saying "hi it needs................" lol
    Astra G SXI, Tints, Remus centre, twin backbox, Autoclosure, Rainbow dash LED's, debadged. POWER!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    what year is your Car ?
    my money Would just be on Plugs an new coil pack

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    its an 03 reg 1.6 SXI,

I do know the cat is "knackered" as i had a look myself when i got back just to check he wasnt thinking of a nice expense for me, also can i just replace the cat and lamba sensor or is there more involved??
    Astra G SXI, Tints, Remus centre, twin backbox, Autoclosure, Rainbow dash LED's, debadged. POWER!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive got an 04 sxi 1.6 and my emissions light came on bout 4months back took it to vauxhall turns out my coil pack had gone too, think its quite a common problem to be honest not sure about the cat though.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    How do you know the cat is dead on the car ?
    the cat will not be cheap on that as the cat is in the manifold

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    when i got back i rang around and they said the easiest way to check is to shine a light through where the lamba sensor thing is and youll see it'll be "honeycomb" inside, all i see is bear metal and at the bottom where the pipe comes off it just looks like little pieces of cat im presuming. and loads of dust. if it is in the manifold does that mean ill need a new manifold too? if so whats the damage on one of them?? its easier to just say to them "do it" due to work at the minute im not free at all. we talking loads of money?
    Cheers

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when cat is knackered you should hear a rattling noise when you accelerate cuz i had the same problem with knackered cat and very expensive to replace instead i bought the metal core cat so i can abuse it more

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuyul_kecil View Post
    when cat is knackered you should hear a rattling noise when you accelerate cuz i had the same problem with knackered cat and very expensive to replace instead i bought the metal core cat so i can abuse it more

thats what im hearing with the occasional loud "Popping" noise as if there is a vent or something in the exhaust and then it "pops" open it sounds horrible under acceleration if it isnt in gear it rev's ok but as soon as you put it in 1st thats it no power, and horrible noise/rattling. just looked on ebay and it said there in the region of £450 from VX that about right or? like i say its in tomorrow and its easier for me to just say yea do it.