Thread: Might be some big changes going on in my life

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Might be some big changes going on in my life

hey all, there might be some big changes going on in my life, basically things at home have got really bad, and this also means i can no longer afford to keep the car, so i might sell it. I might also move out, drop uni (as i hate my course anyway) and just work full time as i wouldnt be able to afford to stay at uni. I really dont know what to do as now i'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. i'm leaning towards the idea of cancelling as many of my overheads as possible (phone, gym etc). any advice?
    Observe the masses and do the opposite

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    wouldn't cancel your phone - just cut down on your useage. You could get away with no gym membership and exercise at home and go for runs etc.

selling a car always saves cash that's a no brainer.

It's not an easy decision though mate. Can you not stick uni out and hope to get a better job after as a result though? Work as many hours part time while doing it. Moving out isn't too expensive if you rent a room in a flat with other students - not so bad.
    ShaanK. BMW E92 335i Msport and BMW E83 2.5i X3

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Stick with uni - just choose a course you like/want to do!!! I changed my course as I didn't like the one I'd been intending to do for 4 years previously! I also work whilst at uni bringing in enough money to pay for living - incl. running my car! It's not hard. And get a bursary/loan for tuition fees which doesn't have to be paid off until you're earning £15k + after you're degree!

Phone - advisable

Gym - a luxury

Car - a luxury

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Is there any chance you can change course since you are not very far through the academic year? Will your university degree help you with your chosen future career or is it just a case of putting off the real world for a few years (that isn't a dig at you, just that I know some people think like that)

Like Shaan said, cut down your phone usage, ditch the gym, downgrade the car if you can and just try to curb your spending. If uni is the way forward for you/your career then stick it out.

If you take out a student loan then the aim should be to spend as little of it as possible, take as much as possible and stick it in a high interest account, leave it there for as long as possible and then reap the rewards on money that was never yours. It's all good.
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did you go through another speed camera at 31mph?

Seriously, don't just 'drop out' of uni. Speak to someone about what options are availble to you - you may have enough credits to get onto another course at an advanced stage. As for the moving out and financial stuff, well only you know the reasons behind this. Maybe you could share a flat with some mates to cut down your living costs if you need to move out? Sit down and calculate all your outgoings and match it up with your income, make cut backs as you need to but be realistic. There is also a lot of financial suport for students if you need it, although I'm more familiar with the Scottish system.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150