Thread: Why can't post-2002 2.0DTi's be remaped?

Milzy

Why can't post-2002 2.0DTi's be remaped?

As title really?

After searching, it seems that post 2002 2.0DTi cars cannot be remapped!

Why is that? Pre-2002 I understand you have to remove the original map then load another map and viola... why isnt it the same for post-2002 cars?

Cheers people of AOC!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Because the Y20DTH got a different ECU and engine bay wiring when the Vectra C came along which made it CANBUS compliant.

In the Mk4 they had to do some fiddling to make it work with the Mk4's non-CANBUS wiring.

The problem seems to lie between the OBDII interface in the car not being totally compatible with the engine, which means you can't transfer the map properly.

Some folks have told me that they can remap the car, but it is a lengthy process and not 100% garenteed to work.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Milzy
    This then begs the question as to why change the wiring? Why make it CANBUS compliant if the car has no CANBUS system within. Strange if you ask me buddy.

May have to look into the lengthy process to see if its worthwhile. If I cant remap the car, will leave the car standard, if I can remap it... I will modify it!

Cheers for the input mate!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Main reason - the Vectra C was the main application of the engine, so it was rewired for that application. A tiny proportion of Astras and the comparitively low volume Zafira were the only other cars to use the unit. As the engines are built in a different factory to the cars, they just built them to suit the biggest application. It's a case of logistics.

The Y20DTH in my car even has all the oil level and oil quality sensors on it, and they're not even wired up to anything. It also has a different EGR system compared to the pre-02 engines.

Milzy
    Quote Originally Posted by ZS View Post
    Main reason - the Vectra C was the main application of the engine, so it was rewired for that application. A tiny proportion of Astras and the comparitively low volume Zafira were the only other cars to use the unit. As the engines are built in a different factory to the cars, they just built them to suit the biggest application. It's a case of logistics.
    Ah ha! . Now it makes perfect sense! Will sleep easier tonight mate, cheers lol

Just wondering now, if the wiring has been changed to fit the astra... would it not be possible then to use wiring from a post-2002 astra 2.0DTi astra inplace of the current wiring... obviously, not as easy as that! Or would it just be a complete and utter pain in the rectum?!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, the ECU is part of the pump, and the EGR is electrical as opposed to vacuum driven. So, no.