Thread: Little Help

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Little Help

Hi im new to the forum and are a new astra owner a 3dr 1.4 mk4 its been stood for a fair few months while my dad has been sorting it out for me as it use to have a 1.9 diesel engine in it and one morning he went out side to do somthing to the car and realised the windscreen had cracked.

So......

my problem is could anyone tell me how to remove the front windscreen as it is bonded in if there is any chemicles that must be used or anything like that?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    used to have a 1.9 diesel in it? in a mk4? wouldn't have been a 2.0 diesel instead by any chance would it?

welcome to the site mate, can't really help you that much with your problem as I just get onto the insurers as I don't pay windscreen excess (family deal as fiance's cousin works for a car sales place and they have a deal set up with Autoglass )

i would imagine it is possible to cut the screen out (cutting the bonding agent that is, not the glass) but I wouldn't know where to start or how to do it

welcome to the site anyway, if you post a "hello" thread in the CHIT CHAT section then you'll get a bigger welcome too oh and get some pics up of the car, no matter what state of modification/condition etc etc
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hehe its an ex police car so maybe a 1.7 not got paper work to hand so cant see :P too dark now but ill take afew tomorrow and put em on

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Or if anyone could link me to a site that might be able to help would be nice !!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    just prise out the rubber windscreen surround using a flat screwdriver, and you should see the bonding agent mate

I must stress I haven't done a DIY windscreen swap before so I can't say for certain, but common sense to me would be to cut the bonding agent with a knife and you should be able to lift the glass out. I would recommend using masking tape across the windscreen in a criss-cross pattern when you're working near/on it, just in case you crack it (tape will hold it more or less in one piece )

when you get it sorted, maybe you could write a how-to guide to doing it?!

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    just noticed that this ought to be in BODYWORK so I will ask a mod to move it for you - you are more likely to get some better answers then too

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the only problem with cutting it out with a knife would be that bonding agent will be still on the car and the new widscreen that im getting the windscreen out of kinda had a donor car for most of the parts that were needed , anyone know of any chemicles or anything that would disolve the agent?

also just about to upload some pics

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    surely with a bit of patience you could trim all the bonding agent off the car ? would be a better option than trying to use chemicals that could potentially damage your paintwork or indeed the bodywork!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    True but im not the one who would be doing the work will be my dad and i dont think he wants to have to do that there must be an easy way to do it tho as when people have smahsed windscreens at the side of the A1 at night when its p***ing it down some guy isnt gonna wanna spend ages trimming all the agent out if u know were im coming from i would happaly trim it all out with a knife but its hard because of my job im never at home only got this week off then back to work only problem with been in the army

Chris

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    ah I see. have you tried ringing someone like Autoglass and asking what they use? I have a mate who works for a glas repacement company so I'll ask him

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast