Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats the quickest broadband package for 15-20 per month?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter

whats the quickest broadband package for 15-20 per month?

^title sums it up really

currently have 2meg (although it tends to vary between 700k and 2.3meg!) and I'm looking to upgrade my connection speed within the next month or two when my contract runs out. My line has been tested up to 8meg, but I don't want to be spending any more than 15 or perhaps 20 per month as it doesn't bother me that much that I'd pay more

any recommendations?
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm with sky and i'm paying 10 for 16mb.

Last I checked I was getting around 8mb download speeds, which obviously also depends on those around you and how far away you are from the Exchange.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    thats a decent deal, however don't you have to have sky tv and its 10 on top of your package cost?

my line is capable of 8 meg however having spoken to BT they are updating it to a lot more within the next 3 months, we are less than 1/2 a mile away from the exchange, and when I spoke to the last BT engineer who came out he said there was only our property, the one beside, and one at the back who share the line, and I know full well neither of the others have BB so I shouldn't have too many probs

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how much transfer do you need, and by fast do you mean good download speeds or low latency for online gaming?
    2 Door E350 CDI - OM642 power baby
    emJlZnIgdmYgZmJiYmIgeW5mZyBscm5l

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    i don't play games on line - laptop would take a shit if I tried

mainly just want faster download speeds as I'm fed up when Mat posts his coffee and cars threadss and it takes me 5 minutes to be able to view the pics... 2meg is fine for most things, just want that bit more for the money (as always )

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peteg2004 View Post
    i don't play games on line - laptop would take a shit if I tried

mainly just want faster download speeds as I'm fed up when Mat posts his coffee and cars threadss and it takes me 5 minutes to be able to view the pics... 2meg is fine for most things, just want that bit more for the money (as always )
    Are you sure that's your line that's the limit? we have 20meg 1:1 symmetric fibre here and those threads can take a while to display I think the photo host is the limit on them threads.

How much transfer would you be looking at a month?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    unlimited usage ideally, you must have seen how much I am on here

as for whether its the line thats the limit, I assume so.. reason is I can click on a thread with say 40-50 pics in it as soon as it gets to the top of "new posts" on here, yet by the time I have downloaded and got halfway through viewing the pics, there will already have been people viewed the lot replied to the thread and moved onto the next one. surely if it was the image host that was the problem it would take that bit longer for everyone not just me?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    not just that either, takes me ages to download large files - approx 2-5 minutes per mB yet I know others can download a 30mb file in less than 5 minutes...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peteg2004 View Post
    not just that either, takes me ages to download large files - approx 2-5 minutes per mB yet I know others can download a 30mb file in less than 5 minutes...
    Even a 56k modem can do a meg in 2 mins 30!!! you need to get your line checked out, that's really not right.

check out http://speedtester.bt.com/ from your line at home, it'll ask your for your number and it will tell you the provisioned line sped on your link (the max you can hope for, this will be lower than what your router says it's connecting at) then it will do a transfer test. See what results you get there.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    its not always that slow, just conveniently when I'm in a hurry

testing it now downloading a 10mb PDF - taken less than 2 minutes to do the lot so I would assume its working as it should be. will try that bt link.

also worth pointing out at this stage that it doesn't matter if I'm using my wireless connection (which I would have thought would be slower) or my plugin modem, it still has a "go-slow" every now and then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast