Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Attempted to fit cruise control to my Z17DTL today (1.7 CDTI ECO4)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Attempted to fit cruise control to my Z17DTL today (1.7 CDTI ECO4)

Well, I got keen and set to, fitting the cruise control stalk and all of the wiring back to the ECU (on these cars it's in the NS inner wing). I had already worked out that my car wasn't wired for CC... anywhere!

I have the wiring diagrams, and bought a spare ECU and part loom from the scrappy to remove the terminals I needed from, so at the start of the job I had everything I needed to hand.

First job was to remove the steering wheel cowling and instruments, I also removed the centre panel from the dash so I could fit a multi info display instead of the triple info display. (saves time doing both together).

So... for Cruise control, I needed to take three wires to the ECU, from the stalk. The fourth wire (black) picked up an ignition live feed from the instruments. The MID only required one extra connection to the ECU (fuel usage signal) and so a length of 4 core signal cable was routed through the unused grommet next to the brake servo (throttle cable isn't fitted to these).

I had already enabled cruise control in the ECU software via Tech2, so this should almost have been plug and play.

HOWEVER... the ECU continuously thinks the 'O' button is pressed, so CC is effectively disabled. I've checked my wiring twice and even replaced the stalk, after testing it independently.

Does anyone know if it was possible to have cruise control from the factory on the ECO4 models, or any 1.7 CDTI mk4? if I get it working I'll post up a how to, as the work I did wasn't that hard.

Cheers,

Ian.
    The Tech2 man...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you can get it working then it's well worth it mate. I can't live without it now, especially if you drive through the average speed check areas on the motorway. Stops ya looking at the speedo every 5 seconds and allows you to sit back and relax

Good thuck with it

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Whats the engine number of the car Ian and year? I'm probably looking at the same stuff your looking at anyway.

I take it you have tested the 3 wires from the stalk to make sure they are switching a live pulse every time a button is pushed
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Engine number is 875026 (built December 2003).

I have checked the wires, but I'll do so again tomorrow in daylight, I'm convinced they're installed in the correct positions.

I forget which pin did what now, but the pin numbers at the ECU end were 53, 56 and 57 if that helps.

The fuel computer seems to work fine, just got to persuade it that the brake lights are OK now, the rest have been bypassed (connected to ground). The computer was never an option with this engine, so I've probably got the only one to have one fitted. I've done some digging and it looks possible that the computer could share the programme code used by the Z12XE engine (Z17DTL isn't listed as a programme). I'll drive it tomorrow and see how it behaves.

Any help / peer review of the cruise control stuff is very welcome.

Ian.
    The Tech2 man...

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Z17DTL is what I wanted to know

To confirm

Pin A on CC switch goes to pin 53 on the ECU
    Pin B on CC switch goes to ignition live
    Pin C on CC switch goes to pin 56 on the ECU
    Pin D on CC switch goes to pin 57 on the ECU

Then one side of the clutch switch goes to ignition live and the other to pin 61 of the ECU

The fact they have wiring for CC on your engine and you can switch it on via tech 2 suggests to me it must be possible

Hope this helps or just confirms what you already know as a 2nd opnion
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks for the confirmation - the clutch and brake switches are already wired to the ECU as it (I think) uses them to restrict boost during braking / changing gear.

I'll have a good root round tomorrow and post up any findings.

Ian.
    The Tech2 man...

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    It does look like you should have 2 clutch switches and a double brake switch so maybe thats whats missing as all the rest of the CC wirings not there

Maybe check for pins in 61 and 59 of the ECU from the brake switch. One being live when brakes are on and not off and the other working the other way round

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Just looked at the wiring diagrams again and although two clutch switches are shown, the one to the right is the same part and designated 'for mexico' and connects to the starting and charging loom (inhibit stater without clutch depressed?). The part I am looking at is designated S28.

I definately have the double brake switch also, which I think the ECU uses anyway - I can see both inputs in Tech2.

Any more ideas?

Ian.
    The Tech2 man...

9. The following members like this post:

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    That 2nd clutch switch makes sense, saw it linked to the starter in some way through a relay. Un fortunatly I can't think of what to try next though

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im having difficulty finding the little connecter that should be tucked away on my z18xe, i have fitted the stalk, just need to puchase the clutch swith and locate the little connecter.

my suggestions lads.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast