Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Saab 93 Viggen front brake system

I find this webpage:
    http://www.viggenfactfile.de/faq.html

Following is what I am interested...

===================================
    How to improve the Viggen brakes?
    a. The standard Viggen brakes are pretty good. They are based on the same calipers and pads as the regular Saab 9-3 brakes. However, the Viggen uses different caliper carriers, moving the caliper further from the hub. This makes it possible to accomodate larger (308mm) front discs (stock front discs are 288 mm). The larger discs have two advantages: They dissipate heat better and by moving the caliper further from the center of the brake disc, greater brake torque is achieved (The brake caliper acts on the disc at a certain distance from the hub centre, known as the effective radius. The force exerted by the caliper, multiplied by the effective radius of the system equals the brake torque. Increasing the effective radius results in increased brake torque).
    Both the 308 mm front discs and the 286 mm (same size as stock 9-3) rear discs are grooved and ventilated.
    ===================================

Focus on the BLUE statement, seems like the same condition ASTRA G/H encounters.

My questions are:
    1. the 308mm calliper carriers for ASTRA G/H could be used on Saab 93 Viggen?
    2. If the 308 carriers are the same, how about the callipers between 93 viggen and Astra G/H ?
    My Ride : Flame Red MK5 1.8 NA Z18XE 4AT

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    308 setup discs and calipers and caliper carriers are those off the Astra G 'GSI' turbo model. GM parts bin shared i believe