Thread: pre-out questions - how many do I need? what voltage?....

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

pre-out questions - how many do I need? what voltage?....

Hi all,
    I have been told that I need a pre-out if I want to upgrade later with an amp/sub etc further on.

So been looking for a new headunit with pre-outs.

How many do I need?
    I plan on upgrading the component speakers (certainly the front door ones at least) and getting a 12" sub eventually for the boot. I have gotten myself a little confused regarding amp channels and headunit pre-outs.
    Please could someone clarify this up a bit for me (in lamans terms..I am new to all this )

Pre-out voltage...
    What a difference I have come across so it must mean something! Some have 2v all the way up to 5v.
    Is one better than the other?
    Do certain voltaes limit which amps/speakers you can use later on?

I have a budget of £150 max (I have been...told) and for that money - while not a lot to you ICE fanatics I am sure - there are a whole bunch of technical stats flying about, none of which I understand properly!!

Cheers all
    Jaarus

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Pre outs you want at least 2, one for the sub and the other for amping the door speakers

Voltage is up to your budget and manufacturer
    97' OMEGA GLS 2000 - 98' ASTRA 1.7TD low blow estate rolling coal

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So I take it more volts in a pre-out is better?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Yep thats it
    97' OMEGA GLS 2000 - 98' ASTRA 1.7TD low blow estate rolling coal

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    great - many thanks.

Would be useful if there was a lamans guide to al this somewhere but not found one yet! Its a lot to learn.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a pioneer DEHP-77MP, recomended by most audiophiles for its burr brown digital-anolog converters (DAC's). It was a really popular head unit as its also very subtly styled, the money buys you a good quality sound reproduction and 3 sets of preouts instead of a load of xmas lights on the front. Another feature was the high voltage preouts, which are rated at 6.5v in the manual. Sounds great dosent it.......but try and find an amp that specifies any more than 4 or 5 volt inputs max. The only ones I've found are really expensive. The nearest ive found within my budget is a JBL GTO 75.4 amp that specifies 5.5v max. I dont know if it makes a difference but going off the manufacturers literature allone they would apear incompatible. So to sum up, perhaps the higher the better isnt true? I dont really know and would love to be beter informed. Anyone?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    pre out voltage doesnt matter at all if you get 5volt ones your gains on your amp should be on minimum and if you havem 1 volt outs your gains will be on nearly max the only differance is the 5 volt one may have less interfearance but if its installed well it wont matter
    and 5volts is normaly the maximum voltage so it will be more like 1.5 volts most of the time so lightning coupe i wouldnt worry about the ratings any amp will work quite well
    ive got an active crossover which ups the voltage to 9volts and il be using that on all my amps some say max 5 volts and some say max of 4 volts