Thread: woops

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

woops

my spark plugs are drowned in oil... surely thats not good?

noticed the car wasnt sounding or feeling the same, as if it was misfiring and the exhaust was blowing, so i decide to take off the rocker cover and have a look. in the process you have to take off the coil pack and to my dismay oil appeared to come out of it... oh sh1t crossed my mind. cleaned that up then unbolted the rocker cover and i dont think ive seen a catastrophie just like this one in my life ever before.. you physically could not see the spark plugs there was that much oil in the holes where they fit.. (the sump? not really mechanically minded). now at this point i thought.. 'hmm, game over'. but i pressed on and cleaned it all out and could finally see the spark plugs. took them out and yep, one of the spark plugs was corroded away at the tip. bought some new ones and cleaned the rocker cover and the head gasket (noticed my cams are looking a little worn and i think my tappets will need replacing). now, it started ok but was a helluva smoky but i think thats cus some oil dropped down below the spark plugs so im hoping that will clear up . tapping noise is still there though so im thinking it might be time to either replace, rebuild or sell on
    1.8 16V Astra Sport

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    did u change the rocker cover gasket mate?thats why the oil would have gotten into ure spark plugs, because the gasket was knackered.thats why it happened to my car once anyway.