Thread: is it just me

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

is it just me

or are toyos over rated, been using them for a few years now and im not all that impressed with them, all i ever read on them is that they are great and nothing can touch them etc etc, they aquaplane like mad in heavy rain and the old t1s used to roll on the sidewalls all the time and wear the outside edges out. mine completly let go on me on the m4 the other day causing me to fishtail and drift down the road at 80mph, alot more luck than skill i managed to get the car in a straight line again and didnt hit anything.

so now im thinking of getting decent road tyre, as apposed to toyos and eagle f1's etc. i want michelin pilots on again.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    also on doing a trackday, a friend of mine used toyos and they melted like butter, i was using michelin slicks and didnt melt nowhere near as bad as the toyos. i know ones a race tyre and the other isnt, but surely a road tyre shouldnt melt that bad, as he wasnt exactly drifting.

Status
    East Midlands RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i dont agree i have had my toyos t1-r on for 4-5 months now and they are great now really showing any sign of wear, great in both wet and dry,
    i will be having them again
    Astra GSi Turbo
    dap-performance.co.uk
    Live in the East Midlands?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneGSI View Post
    i dont agree i have had my toyos t1-r on for 4-5 months now and they are great now really showing any sign of wear, great in both wet and dry,
    i will be having them again
    what other tires have you previously used

Status
    AkA P_Man
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know what you mean, I read the reviews and bought them too, and used to think the ones I was running on my coupe were really good, until I got a set of eagle F1's... Showed the Toyo's up big time. I'm now on PS2's and suffice to say I wont be entertaining any Toyos again!
    Maybe we just had some duff ones...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They're an over-rated tyre in the high end of the budget sector. Kumho make similar tyres, but without the Fast'n'Furious advertising behind them. People cream themselves over them, but to be honest I think most are comparing them to junk factory fit tyres like Dunlop, Continentals, etc.

If you want consisitant grip with decent wear, then you're looking at real premium tyres like Goodyear and Bridgestone.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i find the toyos to be a good tyre for its cost.

the astra will be getting another set on the front soon. although one thing i did find with the T1-R's that i put on the rear earlier this year was that they took an age to wear in. i.e circa 2.5K before they softened up enough to stop the rear end stepping out all the time. at first i was very dispointed as the t1-s seemed to offer more grip.

Have lost the back end once in the wet with the T1-R's but i think some of that was driver error and a case of driving TFF

also with regards to excessive the T1-S i have on the front are two+ years old and covered some 20K miles a good mixture of motorway cruising and hard country lane thrashing

as has already been stated they are a good to excellent budget tyre perfectly adiquate for a 1.6 astra but i wouldn't put them on the subaru

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I've found Toyo's average.

I have Avons on the front wheels, really impressed with them.

Rears will need new boots over winter..Avons ZZ3's for them too.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I used to have Falken FK 512's and now have T1S. What an improvement. the falkens used to lose grip in the wet so easily, but with the toyo's, it just hugs the road.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Never used Toyo as I won't buy a tyre that ryhmes with 'poxy'. I've always tended to go for Uniroyal Rainsports, which IMO are better than any tyre I've had on any car when originally bought.

Very very good on the dry, and in the wet they are amazing, as their name implies

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast