Thread: Power Steering Fluid

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Power Steering Fluid

my bro has a 53 plate zafira 1.6 16v and he wants to know what power steering fluid he needs.
    also the local motor factor place told him he can only get it from the main dealer, but this doesnt sound right to me.

thanks guys

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Vauxhall part number 90 544 116 for the fluid and it is apparently 'special', not sure what makes it special though!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    can anyone else confirm this?
    thanks monty!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have heard this 2 its because its an electric motor that runs it its similar to hydraulic kack oil which is a lot thinner than that normal hydrailic which is 32
    courtney stage 3 zafira,Mitsubishi evo geek mapped to 389 and 470 lb of torque

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Can't confirm the pt no but we buy it from vauxhall at work to use for topping up, i'm pretty sure it's a form of LHM fluid but the problem is it does'nt tell you on the bottle what it is, just says power steering fluid and you obviously need to use the correct stuff
    It's not expensive though and you can buy in litre bottles so you won't end up with loads left over
    HIGHDOWN Car Audio & Security
    Clifford, Genesis, Rockford, CDT Audio

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh i remember this problem when i was going to go for a blast on a bank holiday monday, reveresed off the drive NO STEERING!
    the bolt on the side of the bottle had worked loose and dumped all the fluid over the drive.
    i went everywhere trying to get some fluid and would you belive HALFRUADS DONT SELL ANY other than slick 50 stuff
    i found out AFTER parking the car back up and staying in that SAAB uses the same stuff for their steering and er...............THEY WERE BLOODY OPEN ON BANK HOL MONDAY.

it is a green fluid and is different to other green power steering/hydrulic oils
    its is about £6 litre and you will only need a very small amount for a top up, my bottle was totaly empty and i only used about 1/4-1/2 a litre
    if your near ive got 1.5 bottles of the stuff here.
    vaux do keep it in stock and DONT USE ANYTHING other than the saab or vaux stuff or it will eat your power steering ALIVE

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i needed the red stuff and its sorted now cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7 seater View Post
    oh i remember this problem when i was going to go for a blast on a bank holiday monday, reveresed off the drive NO STEERING!
    the bolt on the side of the bottle had worked loose and dumped all the fluid over the drive.
    i went everywhere trying to get some fluid and would you belive HALFRUADS DONT SELL ANY other than slick 50 stuff
    i found out AFTER parking the car back up and staying in that SAAB uses the same stuff for their steering and er...............THEY WERE BLOODY OPEN ON BANK HOL MONDAY.

it is a green fluid and is different to other green power steering/hydrulic oils
    its is about £6 litre and you will only need a very small amount for a top up, my bottle was totaly empty and i only used about 1/4-1/2 a litre
    if your near ive got 1.5 bottles of the stuff here.
    vaux do keep it in stock and DONT USE ANYTHING other than the saab or vaux stuff or it will eat your power steering ALIVE
    Blimey, you've had very little luck with your GSi

Is the engine back together and on the road?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    kind of!
    i bought a 2nd engine stripped it, saw that there wasnt anything major wrong with it and put it all back together with all new seals etc, fitted it into the zaf and lovly started first time and smokes like an old loco. ive now done around 5000miles or so on it and its ok but drinks oil like my mates 320bhp RX7! 1.5 litres per 1000miles

im having the old engine rebuilt back to standard with everthing that cant be used again renewed and THEN im taking smokey joe out, putting the 1st engine back in, rebuilding smokey to put upwith 500bhp and then i was going to put that in the zaf but i just want to leave it alone now so im getting a vx220 turbo and putting the engine in that.
    unless i change my mind again then ill put it in the zaf

the plan all along was.....
    get 300ish bhp out of zaf and THEN get a steel/forged engine take it to 400+bhp and plonk it into a vx220 with a slipper and have some fun
    BUT with all the problems ive had with my zaf the vx220 will have to wait untill the end of next year/2009
    however on the plus side thats when our morgage is due for renewal and i MIGHT have a little more money to play with AND vx220 turbos will have come down in price as well.

oh in the mean time i need to sell my drift nissan 200sx s14a with 1000's of pounds spent on mods
    although saying that i went to Rockingham a few weeks back on a track day and drifting round corners at 100+mph wont EVER stop being fun, i dont think that a vx220 will be able to do that!! or should i say I wouldnt be able to do that in a vx220