Thread: Suspension and alloy combinations

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Suspension and alloy combinations

right so i've had my intake system fitted now i want to lower it and smash some alloys on it. I need some advice though I was thinking about putting 17's and lowering it 40mm.

Are the wheels going to rub in the arches?

Or is going to be better lowering it 30 on 17's?

If i can lower it 40 can i go any lower?

Thanks, Mike

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You sholud be able to go to 50mm on the front on 17's without rubbing issues, as long at the offset is between ET38 & ET42. Mine are ET 35, lowered 30mm and I still got some space to play with before i'm scraping the arches. You will be safe to go 40mm on 17's mate, but i wouldn't go any lower than that mate as there may be speedbumps on your camp that you might not clear on a 50/30 drop.

Presonally, I's opt for the -30mm all round eibach's from LMF
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If u just plan on fitting 17s then u can go as low as 60mm all round without any rubbing as long as the offset is between 38 & 49mm - this is on a 7 or 7.5" wide rim. Stick with 215/40/17 rubber and you wont get any rubbing....

30 or 40mm with the above dimensions would be totally safe - personally I would always advise a good drop of about 50mm all round as I dont think a 30 or even 40mm drop is sufficient.

Before I fitted the Rieger kit to mine - (ie when I was running standard bumpers and skirts) its lowered approx 55/50 and there was no rubbing on mine (7.5" x 18" ET40) even goin over bumps and the likes.
    Obviously with the kit that I have now - I still clear all the speedbumps around except the massive ones with just scrape the front/rear bumpers.

So to round it all off....do as Gaz states above - except the ET situation is a little out. ET38-ET49 on 7/7.5" wide rims (in either 17 or 18") and u can go as low as 60mm.

HTH

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im running 17" with what i think is a 30mm drop. I got the springs from ebay but im sure its lower than 30mm on the back.. what u reckon?

I dont get problems with rubbing cos i take it easy over speed bumps!. Even with 2x 12" subs and 3 ppl in the back it was ok.
    Arden Blue GSi

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I thought i was a bit out with the offsets, cheers for clearing that up marti.

Creditz, that looks like a 30mm drop to me mate as the car sits the same as mine.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creditz View Post
    Im running 17" with what i think is a 30mm drop. I got the springs from ebay but im sure its lower than 30mm on the back.. what u reckon?

I dont get problems with rubbing cos i take it easy over speed bumps!. Even with 2x 12" subs and 3 ppl in the back it was ok.
    Yes thats deffo lower than 30mm on the back!
    Astra H SRI 1.9 CDTI 150 XP

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well with 17" alloy 205/40/17 tryes mines on fk coilovers

Its lowered around 90mm on the front and 80mm on the back

No rubbing now wing or arch bashing just dont like speed humps that much

Astra H SRI 1.9 CDTI 150 XP

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thats low keith! Don't think i wanna go that low. As Gaz said there are speed bumps on base and Cattle grids. So I think i'll stick to the original plan then. 17's, 40mm.
    Cheers all!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what you also have to remember is the lower to the ground you go the closer to the stones you will be and every body hates stone chips they wreck your car i have just found some on my new gsi bumper and i am still on standard suspension. i hate stone chips , i would go 30mm all round to be on the safe side
    coupe 1.8 played with 162bhp and 139.7lbs/ft of torque on tap