Thread: Dov;s diary - Nurbugring part 2

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dov;s diary - Nurbugring part 2

Saturday was random drive day, so we headed off for Luxemburg, after visiting its understandable that no-one wanted to claim it.

Few pics of dowtown:

We were then looking for somewhere else to go, this prompted comment of the week from TD "I think we should just head to the Luxemborg border and take it from there":

The building in the back ground was the Luxemborg border.

Well after days of anticipation it was finally time to take the cars on the ring.
    We were advised that although the track opened at 8am, to leave it until around 9 before going out to let it dry out a little, although grip once dry would be good due to the racing over the previous days:

I decided to do 1 lap initially to get a rough idea of the track, 20km later and I was lost. From there I bought another 4 laps, after my 2nd lap and a couple of close calls later Idecided that Id had enough, been there done that, didnt like it going home. After a quick trip out for petrol I had a few words from Turbodave, went along the lines of "pansy, poof, get it sorted".
    So it was back to the ring for lap 3, which proved to be my quickest of the day at 10min 8secs (not bad I felt for my 3rd lap which was my first fast lap ever on the ring). After that the track got a little busy but still managed to average 10min 15s for the rest of the day. After the 3rd lap I was hooked like an addict. In total I managed 9 laps on the ring. It did highlight a few of the Vectras weak areas hopefully improving some of those and some more trips to the ring will see the times come down.

Few pictures from the carpark, there were Proscher GT3;s, BMW M5;s and Audi;s sitting about as 1.4 Astra;s do at Tesco:

Unfortunately the day was not without incident. After parking the ST200 up, I went out for a pax lap with Dave, unfortunately Dave went out like he was on an Afganistahn attack mission, this resulted in clipping the grass area with the rear passenger wheel sending the car into a sping before the passenger side went into the barrier (it hurt). After an "oh F**k" moment we moved off and came of the track at Adenue to inspect the car:

although the damage didnt look as bad as thought (I expected the doors and 1/4panel to be crunched), the mechanical damage was relatively bad. Front drivers wheel was straight whilst the passenger sat in at a severe angle. After some investigation by the marshalls (luckily the barrier he hit was at a post section and thankfully didnt damage the barrier), we limped the car back to the B&B:

Unfortunately it was cold and wet so we called it a day.

Monday it was up early and off to see our new best friend Oliver at Nurburg car services where the Vectra was rolled in to be assessed:

The list read as: 2x wheels, 2xtyres, rear trailing arm, steering rack, front strut, track rod end, bumper, wing, headlight & indicator. Oliver was able to adjust the track rod end enough to straight the wheel up enough so it could drive without assively scrubbing the tyre.

After that it was the ST200;s turn to go on the ramp:

long story to this that I wont go into but it had to have the front wheels balanced as well as further investigating which then resulted in it being A1 again (well until it got to Ijmuden on the way home and now has a suspected EGR problem).

Monday was limp back to the boat time:

few pics before we went of the various test centres:

Waiting to be loaded up again:

Thankfully the ferry back was far better than the one we went out on, although I think next year Ill drive down to Dover rather than Newcastle.
    All in an awesome week, planning 2/3 trips back next year, hopefully Iron the Vectra out a little and bring the lap times down.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I think I would be like you Dave do a few laps and say ' I have done that' but I wouldnt go back out again. I can see why people buy shitters and then go there as its less of a worry and maybe more fun?

Looks a great trip - shame about the damage though Dave!

How did you locate Oliver? Soemthing you looked up before going?

What issues did you notice on the vectra?
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    TBH, there were very very few shitters out there (well the day we went anyway). I had thought Id do a few laps and just take it easy as you say but personally I just found it far too addictive.

We were put in touch with Oliver through Frank who runs the B&B, they have their own Golf race car, Oliver done a lot of work on it for them and had recently set up in business. TBH the guys at the B&B and Oliver were top class, and really couldnt have been ore helpful. We will definately be using him in the future as we plan to leave the cars out there at some point.

The ST done better than I thought on the track, suspension was excellent tbh, tight enough but still enough give to enter and exit smoothly. Brakes were ok, but the single piece discs heat up too quickly and cause a lot of brake judder when really warm (although I did manage to get away without boiling brake fluid which was suprising). biggest let down on the car has to be the gearbox it just, well **** tbh.(although the LSD did make a big differance).
    As can be seen from the top speed run it tops out far far too early, but on the track is the biggest problem. We found that a lot of corners it was on the limiter in 2nd, but change to 3rd and the car just died and took a while to pick back up again, with the circuit being pretty steep in areas (especially coming up after Adeneu bridge) it was a pain in the arse. I think more power in the car would help pull itself out of the 3rd gear problem a bit however it is a fundementally poor box.

The Vectra will have a few changes over the winter to try and improve a few areas

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What would have happened if there had been damage to the barrier? Do you have to have track day insurance to drive there? What are the prices like for it?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The ring is a public road, so unlike knockhill etc. your car has to be taxed, insured etc. however near enough every insurance compny has an exclusion clause for the Nurburgring, you can take out day track insurance (again few companies do it, it would seem). If you hit the barrier you have to pay for the damage, it costs 300Euro;s per metre, per section (some areas are 4 sections high), you also have to pay to be towed off (even if mechanical failure) at 550Euro;s. A few guys on the ringers forum have had accidents and had bills for 3-4,000Euros, part and parcel of the chance you take. There was a new-ish Prosche GT3 wiped out the day we were there had a lot of damage front and rear as well as barrier, I would think his bill would come to somewhere in the region of £20k-ish.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can't wait until the SW region goes out there looks like fun

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey View Post
    Waiting to be loaded up again:

Thankfully the ferry back was far better than the one we went out on, although I think next year Ill drive down to Dover rather than Newcastle.
    All in an awesome week, planning 2/3 trips back next year, hopefully Iron the Vectra out a little and bring the lap times down.

Is that a Norfolkline Ferry i see in the background?????? Was this the ship you got back to UK on????

sorry to be a geek but i work for Norfolkline in Heysham in the North-west of england

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    srisport, the ferry in the background was the DFDS one that we returned home on (King of Norway), although we did see a few Norfolkline trailers at the port.

Status
    East Midlands RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that looks so much fun,

any chance of a aoc/as trip to the ring? how much fun would that be
    Astra GSi Turbo
    dap-performance.co.uk
    Live in the East Midlands?

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good write up, shame about the little accident.

I assume your going to fly out therte in future tehn if you leave the cars?!?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast