Thread: Tinting lights

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tinting lights

As i can seem to find any tinted rear lights i thought id get a cheap set and do it myself So was wondering how do i do it? Is it a case off making sure its clean, Masking off (i only wanna do the indicator and reverse light) and spraying? Im only after a light smoked effect on the indicator and resevese light Any help etc would be great

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Normal tinting spray is a big no no for road use as it doesn't allow the lights to shine through properly. I used OMP tinting spray as it's actually an acrylic paint that goes see through when the lights are on.

All you need to do is give the lights a good wash, dry them, mask up (remember that the relector can't be covered up otherwise you will fail the MOT), and then just spray light even coats over the lights. Give each coat 10-15mins to dry properly as well.

Here is some of mine, they were done using OMP tinting spray and done using the method above. The lights shine through in the right colours and lose only about 1-2% through the paint. They have passed an MOT and I've never been pulled over for them.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cool thanks for the advice mate Im only looking to do the centre so i dont have to worry about the reflectors