Thread: EML After MOT

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

EML After MOT

Just got my car through the MOT and it passed with no problems. Took the car out of the test center round the corner and the EML came on and the car is running really rough and it seems like its mis-firing, took it back to the MOT centre gave off a bit saying it was their problem and it happened while it was with them but they were having none of it and told me to phone customer services on monday.

I phoned my brother to come help me have a look at it outside the test center and we tried the coil pack from his car which resulted in the same problem so we know its not that.

Its hard to describe whats hapepned but the car at idle sounds very rough and if you listen to the exhaust it sounds very bubbly if thats the word and if i accelerate when its idle it just seems to mis fire badly but then its ok after about 2500rpm and i drove it home keeping it under 2000rpm and it sat at 30mph in 4th gear no problems.

Im just about the try the paper clip test now to see what the problem is but if anyone has any ideas what it could be then if you could let me know.

Its a MK4 Astra 1.8 16v 1998/99, had a full service about 8k miles/8 months ago

Thanks for any help.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right, just did the paper clip test but it didnt work when the engine was running only when the ignition was on, is that ok?

Anyway i got these codes

Which according to a website im looking at is

Injector valve 1
    Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor
    Intake Air Temperature Sesnor (ATS)

Can anyone confirm these codes are correct and what could this link to? Thanks

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    has it slipped a tooth on the belt when they do the emissions test,they have to rev to i think max red line rpm,
    i'm no mechanic, could it be this ?
    better people than me will i am sure give you an answer
    hope you sort this out
    good luck

here's another link to fault code's
    http://www.nology.com/OBD2FaultCodes.htm

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply but i think the reving to the red line is only on diesels as he just checked the emissions at idle, those codes seem to be correct according to that site as well but it dosent really help me much as i dont know much about cars I just hope its nothing too serious or expensive.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My money is on the AFM

Seein as both trouble codes are the same (theres no intake temp sensor on the X18XE1 - just an AFM) So this is what Id replace...

Do u know anyone with a X18XE1, Z18XE or X20XEV - they use the same AFM (part number 90530463) so if u can try a good one before u purchase one to be sure it IS the AFM.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just been up at my brothers and tried the AFM from his vectra(Z18XE) (I presume this is the thing just after the air box and before the throttle body?) and it is still the same problem so i think it must have something to do with this injector error whatever that means?

Thanks

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    First of all you must match the part number up on the AFM. If the 2 AFM's have different part numbers then they'll be sending the incorrect signals.

Secondly. Did you reset the ECU after fitting your brothers AFM? IE take the battery off for 20-30mins? You car will be in limp mode which would of halved your performance and made it run like a bag of poo.

Put it this way my 1.6 went into limp mode on the M6 I went from 85mph to 60mph without taking my foot off, thats how much power you will loose.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So i should try my brothers AFM again but this time diconnect the battery after fitting it for about half an hour then connect it up again and try again?

THanks.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Yes but make sure that the part numbers match!!!!
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok will do jam, thanks for the reply, my brothers friend has a proper diagnostic tool so hes gonna bring that down later and ill try what you suggested also, i think they do match, it was my brother who checked them but im pretty sure they matched ill double check when hes coming down later. If this doesn't sort it out and it turns out to be something to do with the injector problem, how would i go about fixing this?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast