Thread: Should i kick off?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Should i kick off?

Apologies up front if this is on the wrong forum...

I bought my astra a few weeks ago from a garage that does general repairs, mot's and sells the odd car as a side line (so none of the usual offer of warranty, finance, all that malarky), and i bought it sold as seen. He mot'd it the day after i agreed to buy it so i'd got 12 months worth.

Anyway, since i've had it, loadsa things have gone wrong:

Windscreen wiper motor's shafted

Remote central locking keeps messing up and not working ( i can fix it but this only works for a couple of days and it doing my nut in)

The engine management light keeps coming on (discussed already on here)

Today i took it for a new tyre, only to be told that the front one is also history and because of the size of the alloys its cost me £100 quid for 2 friggin tyres

At the same time, they've shown me how close to being illegal the brake pads are and that the discs are also close to the end. That'd be another £160.

What i'm wondering is whether i have any come back on the garage? I know it was sold as seen, but i seem to remember seeing/hearing something about 'experts' selling something they are an expert in, have a duty to make sure the product is in a good enough condition for a lay person like me not to get stung.

Any comments would be appreciated. Just want to know where i stand before i drive round there and tear into him!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by timsastra View Post
    ...i bought it sold as seen...

because of this I'm sorry mate, but there's very little you can do about things, particularly about things like the tyres/wiper motor/discs/pads. all of these could be checked and spotted within 5 minutes of looking at the car. maybe question how it got through the MOT with duff tyres though, they may be willing to sort it on the basis you won't go talking to the police about a garage putting ropey certificates on cars

without wanting to preach, you should always take a proper look round the car and if you're not 100% sure about what you're looking for, take someone who is.

sorry to hear of your problems mate, and hopefuly through the advice given on here we'll be able to help you save a bit of £££ on rectifying them
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    are you blind. didnt you look at the car before you bought it, sounds like a valuable lesson learnt to me, and you have no comeback. sold as seen.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is nothing you can do as you say every thing was on the boarder of being illegal but it wasn't at the time,so technically it was in road worthy condition when it was sold,sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sold as seen.

Wear it, I'm afraid.
    Europa Blue Astra Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the advice.

I know what you're saying about thoroughly checking the vehicle, but the 1 tyre had a slow puncture, the central locking problem developed a week or so later, the engine management light only comes on when driving for 20 mins or so or over 50mph, and no way i could tell the wipers were shafted until i used them in the rain. As for the discs & pads, i guess you can only see them once you take the wheels off.

I'm still gonna talk to him about it, the least he could do is carry out the repairs for me without charging for labour.

I've previously bought several cars from auctions & private deals and never had a single problem, so this is a bit of a kick in the teeth really.

Quote Originally Posted by peteg2004 View Post
    because of this I'm sorry mate, but there's very little you can do about things, particularly about things like the tyres/wiper motor/discs/pads. all of these could be checked and spotted within 5 minutes of looking at the car. maybe question how it got through the MOT with duff tyres though, they may be willing to sort it on the basis you won't go talking to the police about a garage putting ropey certificates on cars

without wanting to preach, you should always take a proper look round the car and if you're not 100% sure about what you're looking for, take someone who is.

sorry to hear of your problems mate, and hopefuly through the advice given on here we'll be able to help you save a bit of £££ on rectifying them

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    what engine is it??

ECU light could be due to the EGR valve.

when my egr valve went the ECU wouldn't come on untill the engien was fully upto temp.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have always thought that if a car ha been sold by a private company it cannot be "sold as seen"?

EDIT: actually i thik the above is wrong, but, i would take the car back to the garage and ask how all the faults could have hapened since the MOT and if they dont correct them say you will take it to the VOSA to be checked,
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Drives
    Zafira gsi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if hes MOTed it and is not road worthy, then its illegal, check with VOSA...
    2004 Zafira GSI

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    £100 for two tyres thats cheap, try getting toyo 17" 205/40 proxies, £60-£80 a corner!!!
    Disclaimer: My views and opinions are exactly that. I do not encourage or condone the actions in posts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast