Thread: First post and urgent question about buying a mk3 tomorrow

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

First post and urgent question about buying a mk3 tomorrow

Hi, sorry I'll introducte myself properly, but I'm in a bit of a rush as I have been offered this astra as a second chance buy option: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEDW:IT&ih=002

All I need to know is if you guys think this would be a good buy at 512 quid? I can't really tell much about it from the pics except for the fact it loks like the guy had a good thrash in it before parking! He also said it's had a new clutch fitted. Can you guys discern anything I cant?
    Any help will be very much appreciated. & also is it as good as the 1.8 gsi cos that ideally what I would have liked only I cant afford it?...

cheers,

Gareth

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I would barter with him, if wants to sell it then price is always negotiable. Also find out how much tax is on it and service history

But I would go and see it in person, you are not tied to buying as it was not a sale through e-bay, then you ahve the option to barter and if your not happy you can walk away.

If it has the C18XE engine then its a good one as they ahve been know to pump out 130+ bhp in standard form when they were quoted at 115BHP

Oh and Welcome
    Hey YOU See Oooour Reeegin Noooo ! Toss Yer Caber Here

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks top notch mate, but for that price something has got to be horribly wrong with it.. I paid £450 for mine and ended up replacing the engine.. Nice looking motor mind you

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Why is driver side seat wobbly and wing mirror missing? - has it had a side inpact? just some thing to check from the pictures

I am just giving you somthing to look at, may be fine tho

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My drivers seat is wobbly too. The bolster runner thingy has bent on the door-side so don't worry about that.. it looks fine from the outside mate just make sure the engine doesn't make any nasty noises. Looks lush

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys! This is giving me allot to think about!

MarkC
    Well, it was on ebay just today. I've been looking for about 3 months now and I finally got sick of waiting and having so lilttle cash to spare. There's a guy selling a gsi for 1.3k and I was very interested in it, but cash is tight. If I give the guy my bid on ebay I am contracted to buy it tho.

Adam0r
    Yes, thats what I'd be afriad of. It may be too good to be true, but apparently it's passed it's mot, and his gf is willing to drive it over to the docks at Liverpool so I can pick it up as I'd be travelling from NI.
    OUCH. I don't fancy replacing the engine, just the bumpers wing mirrors and rear spoiler!

Mark_W
    I asked the guy about that on the phone he said he took the mirror off to spray paint it. I couldnt blame him though as I hate the look of the mirrors! Wobbly seat. I thought it might just be a matter of tightening that down?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Any more suggestions would very very welcome. This will be my first car & I'm 25 and hope I'm not about to buy a lemon as my first car!lol
    The reason I like these cars so much is cos we had a mk3 1992 si and it was a great lil motor & there's the sentimental value of my grandad having been a vauxhall mechanic and think the astra was also good. It's just a shame it got stolen and the written off 4 years ago. I was gutted!

Status
    the man in the boat
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i had the 2.0 eco-tec GSI on a P plate with 127 000 miles and it run top nitch, oil change regular and service and should be fine, just have a realy good look before handing over any cash

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    don't go through eBay for it, arrange to see it in person and go from there. means you aren't contractually tied to the sale too

don't accept that "his girlfriend will drive it halfway" or whatever, as it means you're not seeing the car start from cold - and also not dealing with the bloke himself meaning you'll have less chance of negotiating the price once you see the car.

in general, just be wary of the seller. he only has 1 feedback rating, and yes I understand we all have to start somewhere, but a word of caution anyway - he may have been an ebay user previously and been thrown off for scamming someone...

also make sure you find out EXACTLY how much MOT and tax there is on it, and you want to know what history the car comes with, as nothing's listed. do a HPi check and see what comes up.

beware that the car hasn't been badly modified, he's got aftermarket alloys on it and one chavvy chrome M3 mirror, suggesting tha either he's put the car back to standard (or as standard as possible) in order to sell it, or he started modifying it but is selling before he really got anywhere. in either case I'd want to know why.

just a few pointers there, amongst the obvious signs of accident damage/rust/mechanical problems. check out the Autotrader website for a tips sheet on what to look for when buying a car in general, and whatever your reaction to it is, DON'T BE AFRAID TO WALK AWAY! this is your biggest bartering tool as a buyer. if he thinks you're willing to travel over from NI and still walk away without buying, then he knows he's not going to be able to rip you off.

HTH and sorry for the essay
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    peteg2004

Thanks, very wise info there. I bought the car through ebay late lastnight. I don't know if it was wise, or not. Could be a real lemon, but I'll keep you all posted! I feel a bit stupid at th moment!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast