Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Paint & Wiper issue.

Hi,

I recently bought a second hand Astra mk4 club. It is black in colour , however it seems that the car is not shiny in certain areas. The back and the right hand side of the car seem nice and shiny, however parts of the left side of the car and the bonnet are not as shiny and can be noticeable when looked at closely or even from a distance. You may think that the car had been in an accident and has been repainted, but this is not the case. I had a very close look before the purchase and I also took it to a local mechanic to check if the car had any problems. Is there anything apart from a complete repaint which would restore it back to its shiny state to match other parts of the car?

When I use my front wipers in the rain, for some reason it causes smearing on my windscreen which causes visibility problems. The wipers themselves look in good condition and have good contact with the glass. But I dont understand what causes the smearing. Does anyone have any solutions?

Thanks in advance

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    welcome...

Dodgy paintwork...a damn good 'detail' - clean paint, wax and polish !!!

Clean the screen, and get new wiper blades.....you cant always see that they are knackered.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm new to cars and 'auto-talk', so what involves a good detail? You also said 'clean paint'. By that are you suggesting a repaint? If so it would be unjustifiable as the irregularities are not serious enough to be repainted. What brands/polishes do you recommend?

Thanks again.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No, not suggesting a repaint....

Meguiars do a 3 stage set of cleaning products, which should help restore the paintwork.

Halfords sell it.

Have a read of teh car care section for more info...

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like there could be some mild oxidation there too, in which case it would need be taken off with a Porter Cable polisher.

As for the wiper blades, try giving them a wipe over with a clean, damp rag. Many people waste money on new blades where they just need cleaning.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring