Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Y-Reg (01) 1.7DTi- Dodo'ed!! Won't start

Morning all

I drive to and from Norwich and Thetford (about 70 miles per day) every day Monday to Friday- don't cane it, but average 70-75mph...

About a week ago, after sitting for only two days, the power steering didn't kick in for about 400 yards up the road, so turning the heavy wheels was harder than my old Granada!! The battery light had stayed on all of this time two, then halfway 'round the roundabout the light went out and I nearly yanked the car off the road as the power steering kicked in... it's happened a couple of other times , but merely for seconds.
    This weekend the car utterly refused to turn over properly, it merely went " prur-plur-plur" and died off.

Last night I tried a booster charger for 40 minutes, which also has a start facility, and still the same pathetic coughing from the Astra. Tried another battery which I believe is okay (used to be in my old mans' Carlton 2.3D) but still nothing. Finally we tried to jump it off of my missus' 1.4 Petrol Civic, but not even a splutter- although I admit the leads looked thin for a diesel jump.
    Trying to trickle charge the original battery today for three hours, but at the mo it's only pulling about 0.5A, which would indicate to me that it's either wa**ered or fine, not just a bit low...
    Any similar experiences/ diagnosis would be much appreciated fine Astra folk!
    The car has full service history and is approx 68k miles

Steve

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If I were you, I'd go spend £40 on a decent, new battery. As you said, those engines do suck a bit of power.

My battery had to be replaced last month, it was goosed too. Just under 5 years old with 60k on the clock.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My thoughts exactly ZS- i was just putting it out there in case there was possibly a relay that needed a certain amount of juice to activate a controller that told the pump to turn that was connected to the hip bone etc etc etc...! Wouldn't surprise me with all the new fangled gubbins that make these engines so fantastic.

My brain silently curses the complications of modern engines while my hands applaud their mechanisms...

Cheers
    Steve

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i was thinking maybe a bad connection to the battery???? check both terminals, also check the lead to the alternator and check the earth strap that connects the engine to the chassis.
    Fitted options: Folding mirrors, cruise control, dual tone horn, remap.
    Next: Bluetooth

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers Jammy

I had a friend come over last night, who's been a mech for a couple of years- he suggests similar- gonna check the barrel switch first, then take the underpan off and check that there's power to the starter motor... will check the alternator leads then too and perhaps remove, clean with emery then replace the earth strap...

Thanks
    Steve

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    welcome to the site mate, best get on over to the East Anglian Region before the RO spots you oh thats me

as has been suggested, check all the cabling on the cars charge system, ie alternator>battery, battery>ground, and also startermotor>alternator. then see if you can trace the cable from the ignition as well to check there's no fault there. if you've still no joy then try a new battery, something like the Halfords Calcium jobbies are pretty good and will be guaranteed for 4 years so you can always take it straight back if the problem flares up again

HTH and maybe see you at a meet or two once you've settled into our online community?
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.