Thread: priming painting and lacquering

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

priming painting and lacquering

ok. ive painted several things on my mk4 now but want a bit of advice.

how many coats of:
    • Primer
    • Colour
    • Lacquer
    did you do?

previously i have used 5 coats of primer, sanded lightly with 1200 w&d, about 6 or 7 coats of colour, and lacquer is still a bit confusing for me.

the lacquer confuses me because i cant seem to get a gloss finish. ive read the how to and it says to do it in thin coats like with the other paints but it always comes out fuzzy. i thought if i were to leave it a bit the lacquer will merge together giving the gloss effect but to no joy.

for me to get a gloss finish when lacquering it seems i have to really pile it on in thick coats. this can lead to it dripping.

i only want advice because im fed up with getting to the lacquering stage and it all going pete tong. also its for my sideskirts so i dont really want to **** up with these.

really what im asking in short form is how many coats of what paint and how to lacquer.

help will be greatly appreciated.

cheers
    "I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always agree with them."

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We just recently done my alloys. But i never used nearly as much coats of paint............

2 coats of primer
    3-4 coats of paint
    2 coats of laquer

When done you have the "orange peel" effect. I dunno if this is what you mean by fuzzy

all you do then is rub down with 2000 grade (wet and dry) then compound. this gets rid of any imperfections. Then over again with a polish (we used autoglym) and a final polish with a cloth.

If you need progress pics mate gimme a wee pm. i have pics of the wheels i done before fitting

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    amount of primer depends on what you're painting and what texture at the finish you're after. for smooth finish you want quite a few layers of "plastic filler primer" (8-10 layers +) and a couple of layers of appropriate coloured plastic primer (2-3 layers)... then as many layers of base coat as you need for uniform coverage (usually 2-3 layers from my experience) and as for lacquering... well as with all stages use thin but even coats! just build up until the thickness is sufficient to be able to polish up with a microfibre or for gloss finish using a wax

the secret IMO is patience, not prowess. it doesn't matter how accurate your spraying, if you take your time you'll always get better results than rushing it
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    ok sorry for the late reply but thanks for your quick ones.

ive already sanded the sideskirts and primed them. i sanded them down so much that i didnt need filler primer. it took about 2 hours to sand one sideskirt.

what i meant about lacquering was as follows; when you spray your first coat of lacquer on the paint is the lacquer supposed to turn glossy and smoothe. do you have to do the lacquer in 2 thick coats or loads of thin ones.

what i found was when i did my first coat the lacquer particles didnt merge to give a gloss effect instead it gave a patchy effect. the only way i could

well if you understand what the hell im on about then please feel free to help. otherwise im just going to go ahead and give it a shot.

cheers
    "I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always agree with them."

Status
    In House Designer
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    apply the lacquer slowly and evenly in numerous light/thin coats. in my experience it probably wont go shiney unless you've laid it on to thick. (which takes ages to dry)

your better off letting it dry for say 24 hours after the final coat and then t-cut the hell out of it. I normally use a sanding block with a really soft cotton cloth wrapped around it. This will give you and excelent shine. Dont go though the lacquer though!
    Visit our-formats.com for creative design services