Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Z20LET Blue smoke

Hey guis,
    I have a turbo astra cabrio for 1 month now and yesterday I noticed when it was idling a lot of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. After I stopped it ans started it 10 mins later the smoke was gone. I drove it home and still no smoke. Today when I left home still no smoke, I parked it and when i came back and started it again a lot of blue smoke. I drove it around and the smoke kept coming out mostly when standing still. I stopped it again, and checked the intake hose for oil and it was normal (very little oil on the inside of the hose). I started it in 5 mins and no smoke... I left it running and after about 5 mins idling it started smoking a light white/bluish smoke. I pressed the throtle and a cloud of blue smoke came out. I stopped it again, started it later and no smoke (even if I was hammering it). I drove it home and still no smoke.

I asked a friend mechanic and he said it was the seals of the valves. He said if it was the turbo, the smoke would have come out every time and especially a lot more when using the turbo.

What can I check/do to figure out what`s the problem so I can fix it.
    Note : I have Aral 0W-40 Oil in it and I add about 1L in 2000 Km (after "check oil level" message).

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it sounds as if the turbo seals on the exhaust side have gone. time for the vxr upgrade??

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As my friend said, if it was the turbo shouldn`t the smoke be coming out all the time ? and especially when I stress the turbo ?
    From my experience the smoke comes out when the engine is hot at any revs rather than cold. I`ll confirm this next morning when it is cold.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Drives
    Astra Sri Turbo 190
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Add Dynamic Jay on Facebook
    Remove the crossover section where the breather is attached, check for excessive oil there where the breather meets it.
    Astra SRI-Turbo, now running CSS4 300bhp & 369ft/lbs
    <-- New pics and garage updated with spec list!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just confirmed my theory. I started the engine and then
    with the engine temp < 85C idling = no smoke
    with the engine temp >= 85C idling = blue smoke (when accelerating -> a lot of smoke)
    then I set the temp inside to high and the ventilator to max to remove some of the engine heat and then the engine temp started to drop
    when it was lower than 85C idling = no smoke (when accelerating even high revs -> no smoke).

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if its smoking when its hot its because the oil thins out and is leaking into the exhaust and burning off. when oil is cold its much thicker so it wont leak out then! sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your blower is a poorly one im afraid! vxr upgrade i think is for you! when mine went it did exactly the same thing in the early stages. i got a new one and job sorted!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I changed the oil with Castrol RS 10w60 and now it doesn`t smoke at all. I checked Autodata and it sais that 0w40 is only for cold climate wich is not my case.